My new 20 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, after a bit of a break I plan on getting back into keeping saltwater fish. Here is my 20 gal I just set up with everything i had laying around that still worked. I am waiting on more supplies to come in so i can finish it. I plan on getting more live rock, upgrading the light, adding a large hob filter with bioballs or some ceramic media, and also a new powerhead, as this is a small return pump but the only working pump i currently have [emoji28].

Ideas on stocking? I was thinking a pair of clowns and maybe a goby. Should i add some corals? Just give me your thoughts!

PS: the final tank will look much different, this is just so we can get a rough idea of what the final project will look like. 20190618_103155.jpg

Glad to have you back aboard! Glad you had old equipment laying around to get back into things. Keep us posted, but in terms of a reef tank the answer almost always corals from my view point.

UPDATE:

So the live rock came in today, as well as a new hydrometer, so I went ahead and filled up the tank. Tomorrow the new LED and filter should be in tomorrw and ill keep y'all posted. New pumps will be in Monday. The water is pretty dirty due to the samd being used previously and it looks like there is a lot of old algae in the water column that a couple water changes should help with.

Im still set on a pair of clowns but im still looking for another tankmate or two. I will definitely add some snails and hermit crabs. I'm on the fence about adding coral, simply because i have never kept them before and am unsure of the lighting, flow, and nutrient requirements for them, obviously it depends on the species.

Now i know that many people are probably going to be upset with the limited about of live rock in the aquarium, but the filter should really over do it on the biological filtration, plus there is plenty of sand, so I'm not too worried about it, I'll update you on the filtration once its installed.

I'm still open to ideas or suggestions or just your thoughts on my build! Dont mind the dirty water right now guys [emoji28]20190620_211506.jpg

I'd stick with one additional fish over two. This will avoid heading towards overstocking with the 'limited' amount of rock that you pointed out. Check out liveaquaria's nano fish section and see if anything trips your trigger there. I'd look towards a goby myself to add something on sandbed level.

I'd stick with one additional fish over two. This will avoid heading towards overstocking with the 'limited' amount of rock that you pointed out. Check out liveaquaria's nano fish section and see if anything trips your trigger there. I'd look towards a goby myself to add something on sandbed level.
See i was kind of thinking the same thing. Somthing that will spend most of the time near or in the sand

Alright, most od the new equipment is in and installed. However, the protein skimmer makes the entire tank be covered in bubbles. Ive tried adjusting the flow and the pump isnt adjustable. Any ideas?1561151770390.jpg

If the bubbles are coming from the water falling into the tank, then you need to eliminate the fall.
If it is from the skimmer, set the air intake as open as it will go and run it in a vinegar solution to help it break in. It can take a couple of weeks for them to get all of the oils left over from production to be removed so that they can run right.

Well today marks thefirst week of cycling my tank. I dont have a test kit because mine dissapeared. However, i feel like i can cycle the tank properly and I will get another one before i add any animals to make sure the water is safe. But this is the tank so far. Im really loving the new LED 20190627_021914.jpg20190626_164843.jpg

AS mentioned the skimmer usually takes a few days to break in. I like the tank as it has possibilities. I like the goby idea also.

AS mentioned the skimmer usually takes a few days to break in. I like the tank as it has possibilities. I like the goby idea also.
Well i turned off the skimmer because i found it distracting and I have a done some research suggesting the cycle will go faster/better, something to that effect, if left off. I just have to travel an hour to the closest fish store so I'll make a more concrete decision on stocking when im there. But definitely some clowns

Plus I have used this skimmer in tanks before and it has always filled the water with an ungodly amount of bubbles. I think i just need a new one [emoji28]

Sometimes that is the case. You don't need to run a skimmer during the cycle, but if it wasn't broken in then it could kill two birds with one stone. HOB skimmers just don't do the trick all the time...its difficult to get a good one.

On systems under 35 gallons, it is easy to get away with not using a skimmer as you can solve many issues by doing large water changes in the area of 50%. The real important bit is using ro/di water.

If you said you might get a goby is your tank an open tank or a closed tank because if u get a goby and u have an open the goby
Might jump out

Well its open at the moment because i dont have any sort of lid, however i planned to add one anyway to help with evaporation

Not needed during the cycle. I like to fire it up towards the end of the cycle for break in purposes and to dial it in.

UPDATE: Hey guys, i know its been a while but i have an update for everyone. I went ahead and added a small clean up crew. 4 hermits and a nassarius snail. I can be more specific on the crabs if anyone really wants to know. They have been in the system for about a week, cleaning algae and sifting the sand. I couldnt be happier!

Waiting on some more supplies to come in so i can just double check that all my parameters are in line. Then hopefully in another week or two I can order some fish!

Most definately going to buy a pair of clowns. Any ideas on what kind/color? Would you guys just stick with the clowns or maybe add another dossile fish? 20190801_131238.jpg20190801_131259.jpg20190801_131242.jpg

Back
Top Bottom