My new 220 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What brand Phyto do you use? I used to use DT's, but switched to Phy opure last year after many different LFS suggestions.

Flreefer said:
What brand Phyto do you use? I used to use DT's, but switched to Phy opure last year after many different LFS suggestions.

I use live phyto by DR G's or by ALAGEN. ALAGEN has a really good product that has multiple sizes of phyto and oyster juice and other things built right into it

Ok. So I rehomed some corals to my sisters tank because I'm getting some newer "impressive" ones soon. Lol. She got a huge rock of palys since I seem to have them all over my tank, a rock of fuzzies (have multiple around the tank still), and a few others. So my tank is looking a little empty again :(.

img_1917550_0_35127d8068d04abb255038e637ac784e.jpg

Hahah!^

so i have never used phyto but i see you do and suggest it. Does it come in a big bottle basically, and you add some once every other day? How long does it last and cost? Thanks! Tank is looking crazy good

Gboy66 said:
Hahah!^

so i have never used phyto but i see you do and suggest it. Does it come in a big bottle basically, and you add some once every other day? How long does it last and cost? Thanks! Tank is looking crazy good

Yes- they come in bottles. Live are often refrigerated. Others can be kept at room temp. Live phyto in a 16oz bottle usually costs a little under 20$ here. Feeding can vary according to tank size and sticking amount. It takes me about 2-3 weeks to go thru a bottle for my tank feeding about 5 times a week.

Read pages 32-35 of the 10th edition here for a great article on feeding corals.

http://www.redfishmagazine.com.au/editions

Also- check out their other editions! It's a great free magazine I found and theres always great articles and amazing pictures

Jlsardina said:
Yes- they come in bottles. Live are often refrigerated. Others can be kept at room temp. Live phyto in a 16oz bottle usually costs a little under 20$ here. Feeding can vary according to tank size and sticking amount. It takes me about 2-3 weeks to go thru a bottle for my tank feeding about 5 times a week.

Read pages 32-35 of the 10th edition here for a great article on feeding corals.

http://www.redfishmagazine.com.au/editions

Also- check out their other editions! It's a great free magazine I found and theres always great articles and amazing pictures

Wow sounds great! And you see some good coral growth while using it right? I bet i wouldnt go through it as quick, considering i havent get too much coral yet!

Thanks for the help!

Gboy66 said:
Wow sounds great! And you see some good coral growth while using it right? I bet i wouldnt go through it as quick, considering i havent get too much coral yet!

Thanks for the help!

Yes. I went thru pics of my corals that I've had for a year the other night. My poker chip zoas are a year old. When I first got them there were 5 heads. Now- there's about 50 on the rock. My original torch is about 4-5x bigger. My Duncan's have all tripped in size since last September.

Phycopure and DT's are live as well. I used Dr G a few times, but don't see it anymore, locally. Phycopure seems to do well though, and is about the only one I can reliably get.
One of my LFS was making his own that I used for a bit too, but I didn't feel secure that it was as good as what's available retail. It's also the kind of thing that is hard to gauge effectiveness, so I've always gone with the purchased variety.
Beautiful Basket star, will he constantly roam like other stars?

Flreefer said:
Phycopure and DT's are live as well. I used Dr G a few times, but don't see it anymore, locally. Phycopure seems to do well though, and is about the only one I can reliably get.
One of my LFS was making his own that I used for a bit too, but I didn't feel secure that it was as good as what's available retail. It's also the kind of thing that is hard to gauge effectiveness, so I've always gone with the purchased variety.
Beautiful Basket star, will he constantly roam like other stars?

I know what you mean. Let's just say I borrowed a microscope to make sure I had phyto a few times in that 20$ bottle. Lol. There used to be a guy on Craigslist that would sell his tank raised phyto here in SW Florida- but I haven't seen his posting lately.

Things that I've read on basket stars state that they are pretty happy in one spot as long as they are not harassed. One site even said that in the wild they had been observed staying in the same location for up to two years.

Ok. I just scored! My neighbor was going thru his garage and found a bunch of old fish tank supplies! He was going to throw them to the curb but I got them instead (such a nice guy). I got a coralife fixture (needs new bulbs), a couple pumps, spare egg crate, and a bunch of misc parts!!! Woohoo.

I'm so easily excited. Lol

Jlsardina said:
Ok. I just scored! My neighbor was going thru his garage and found a bunch of old fish tank supplies! He was going to throw them to the curb but I got them instead (such a nice guy). I got a coralife fixture (needs new bulbs), a couple pumps, spare egg crate, and a bunch of misc parts!!! Woohoo.

I'm so easily excited. Lol

That is great!! Are you going to ise them on the store tanks? You seem to score alot:D

Gboy66 said:
That is great!! Are you going to ise them on the store tanks? You seem to score alot:D

I think I'm gonna find a use for them at the house. Might use the coral light fixture on my refugium and just get the right bulbs. Then- ill use one pump on the angler tank. With the eggcrate I'm going to build a media basket for my DIY sump project this weekend. :). I like to tinker so it's going to be fun.

Ibrahim said:
I think he means the bubble trap lol

Oh. Lol. Then yes. It's the chamber next to the sponge. None of the chambers will go to the top of the tank though just in case of any issues so that water can disperse fully to the sump and prevent a flood

Back
Top Bottom