My new 240g FOWLR tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOWLR-JUNKIE

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry guys for making a new thread just didn't know how to connect my last thread with this one. ("Running into problems") but my tank is setup now and running.. It's a 8ftx2ftx2ft and I think it's amazing.. I'm running a mag 24 which is giving me really good flow. It is t'd off to 2 1" drains.. I just have about 120lbs of Texas holy and dry rock mixed and about 160 lbs of sand.. I am using filter socks and some media filter from a existing tank of mine. (Bio balls & ceramic rings) I am also using one and only bacteria in a bottle. I'm cycling my tank with fish and I know a lot of people don't like that but I simply can't look at a bare tank.. I am using my damsels and chromis from my existing tanks.. I was wondering what was y'all input on what I should do next..? Any advice is helpful tanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you not have a skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No not at the moment.. I have a DIY ats, which I just hooked a pump to but I will be getting one if the ats does come out how I like it..

Do y'all think triggers are good for cycling that is my LFS said.. I was thinking about it bout just doesn't sound right to me

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412807647.238367.jpg also as you get see no overflows covers.. Is there anything I can do to prevent my fish from going down the drain..?

Do y'all think triggers are good for cycling that is my LFS said.. I was thinking about it bout just doesn't sound right to me

No fish is good for cycling, and if you can't look at an empty tank for a few weeks this may not be the best hobby for you. There's no reason to make an animal live in poison.

Well Mr Saltwater did it when he set up his tank.. He used one and only bacteria in a bottle.. And also a lot of other people do it too.. This is my first doing this.. But thanks for your opinion

Well Mr Saltwater did it when he set up his tank.. He used one and only bacteria in a bottle.. And also a lot of other people do it too.. This is my first doing this.. But thanks for your opinion

The appeal of a fishless cycle is that you can increase the ammonia to levels lethal to fish with actually harming any livestock. You could use Dr. Tim's One and Only in conjunction with a shrimp or two (in a mesh bag for easy cleanup).
As for the overflow, I believe there are grills or grates that you can purchase to keep the fish from falling/swimming into the overflow. A DIY approach would be using the plastic strip that comes with all glass tops. Cut out the "teeth" and mount onto the edge of the overflow with the part of the plastic strip that would normally clasp onto the glass top. This may or may not work with you setup; depends on how this will affect the water level in the tank.

If you are using Dr Tim's your tank will cycle in about a week. I used it both times on my 240g. I'd just leave the damsels and Chromis and add new fish later. Ideally, using the ammonia that Dr Tim's sells works great and avoids exposing your fish to toxic levels when the spike occurs. Also allows you to test that it is cycled in the end. You can't dose with shrimp, which is why I am such a fan of their product.

Oh, I missed that part about fish being in there in the first post. Yep, no shrimp needed.

Awesome.. Thanks guys.. Yea my fish are doing fine and I hadn't even seen a spike in a ammonia? Is this normal? Good idea on the plastic as the overflow I'll get to that as ASAP.. The fish I will add to my tank is my snowflake eel which is in my 30g tank.. I'm just worried that he will wonder and end up in my sump (even tho I doubt it) .. When do you think it is safe to add him.. My tank has been running for a about a week and a half with dr tims..

What have your parameters been throughout the week? It is difficult to know where things are without numbers. I've always dosed with ammonia to see if it goes to zero with 24 hours. That is when you know you have your BB at a level to handle the waste your fish put out.

For the eel...they are escape artists. I'd have a lid and any openings covered.

Yea the tank is fully covered it's just the overflow is wide opened for him to explore.. But when I tested the tank a couple days ago everything was at zero I'll test again and get the parameters to you as of now.. I'll test when I get home in about 30mins

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413067067.244905.jpg ph is 8.3 and all the others are at 0.. Is this normal for a cycle to go so fast..? Does this mean my cycle is over or didn't even begin? I haven't seen not one spike in anything.. Never did a water change or anything..

My cycle has officially finished! The only concern that I have is that the the nitrate is at 0.. And I haven't done a water change yet.. Is this normal.. Should I go head and do a water change or should I start adding my fish..? Any advice is appreciated!

No, you normally have nitrates at the end. Ammonia and nitrites should be zero. This is why I prefer using ammonia, not fish...you can dose the level up and watch it go to zero within a day and you know you have BB knocking it down.

Your tank looks great!I agree.You always have Nitrates at the end of the cycle.What did you use to cycle the tank?

I used a few things.. Such as fluval biological enhancer and stability.. I had 6 damsel and 2 chromis in there a week after I had it running but decided to take them out a few days later.. And update an update I checked my nitrates again and they weren't to high just about 10-20ppm everything else is at zero.. I went ahead and added the damsel and chromis with a cleanup crew Sunday and I added my snowflake eel and bursa trigger on Tuesday.. And I added my niger trigger today.. I done a 30% water change and now everything is at 0 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414106892.206355.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414106957.521071.jpg

Back
Top Bottom