My new 29 Gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usarng2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New 29Gal tank...

I am returning to the hobby and after I Cycled my new tank I added fish over about 3 weeks. I know it is a little overstocked; however, the water levels are fine and they are all healthy. My blue dwarf gourami likes to hide a lot and misses out on eating sometimes. If anyone has some suggestions let me know...

Any advice would be appreciated

Ph = 7.0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 30
Carbonate Hardness = 40
General Hareness = 30

With these levels should I do a partial water change or just leave it alone?

I would do a 50% wc. I think the generally accepted nitrate level is under 20ppm, lower is better. Are you doing regular water changes? If you are not changing at least 25% each week, you should start. If your tank is overstocked, you'll need to change more than that, or more often.

Might also help if you post your stocking list. Could be another fish is harassing the gourami, or he is just shy. How long has he been in the tank? Some fish take a week or more before being comfortable.

Fish List +/-

2 - Red Dwarf gouramis
1 - Blue Dwarf gouramis
6 - Neons
2 - Sword tails
2 - Glass Fish
3 - Guppies
3 - Platys
1 - Striped Tetra
2 - Ballon Mollies
2 - Otocinclus Cats
1 - Cat Fish
1 - Golden Wonder Killifish
1 - Red eye Tetra
Wow 29 fish …. Did not even realize it…

2 - Mystery Snails
3 - Zebra Sails

Woah... how long have they all been in there. You need daily water changes, bigger tank, large sump and I mean large or get ride of some of those fish before they start to die on you.

I noticed you didn't post an ammonia reading, what are you using to test your water? If it's strips, those are unreliable and you should get a liquid test kit.
Wow that's an overstocked tank if I ever saw one o.o also, the glass catfish are schooling fish and should be in groups of 6 or more..
And what kind of "catfish" do you have?

I use the liquid tests and the strips I checked the ammonia today with the liquid test ... it was at zero "ideal"... the tank has been stocked like that for about a month and have not had any ammonia issues at all..... I am going to add a few more live plants and move the filter over to reduce the flow in the middle of the tank .... going to do a 30 percent water change this weekend while I clean some of the substrate. ...

All male and they are the most peaceful of the community. The rwo red dwarfs stay together but the blue one is very shy... he will let me hand feed him

ok I cleaned the tank noticed that one of my swordtails disappeared the day before cleaning... :facepalm: I moved the filter and pretty much everything I will post a picture tomorrow..

I guess my swordtail either got eaten or died and was eaten...

It probably died, with that many fish I wouldn't be surprised if ammonia poisoning would be affecting your fish

ammonia is at 0 did a strip and liquid tests on friday...

With 28 fish in 29 gallons of water your system can swing quickly. Test your nitrogen cycle and upload a pic of the 3 tubes next to the color charts and a pic of your tank please. It would help us better advise you.

The golden wonder killie might start going after your tetras and guppies when it approaches full size. Also the gouramis may get very territorial toward each other when they get near sexual maturity. Just a heads up.

ok after moving things around and a partial water change this is what I have

Ph = 6.5
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20
Carbonate Hardness = 40
General Hareness = 30
Ammonia = 0

2 - Red Dwarf gouramis
1 - Blue Dwarf gouramis
3 - Neons
1 - Sword tails
2 - Glass Fish
3 - Guppies
3 - Platys
1 - Striped Tetra
2 - Ballon Mollies
2 - Otocinclus Cats
1 - Cat Fish
1 - Golden Wonder Killifish
1 - Red eye Tetra

23 fish

lost two neon because I did not put the pre filter sponge on :(:banghead:

The neons probably died and the filter sucked them in, any healthy fish can escape without problem a filter

I watched him get sucked to the intake.. i tried to get him off in time but was too late... It was my fault bc I did not put the intake pre filter on... no more neons I have to left. They are in hiding so Im guessing someone is picking on them ....

here is another video they seem calmer ...

watch one of mine Otocinclus Cats attack the Red Dwarf ....

nope I was just watching the blue dwarf has been attacking them,,, he just bit another one..

Back
Top Bottom