my new 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agwats

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been working on this tank for what seems like forever but it is now cycled and partially planted. The plants in it now came out of my 20. Going to get the rest of the plants and the first group of fish Monday (assuming the job im supposed to be working this weekend doesn't get rained out). This will be the home of a blue gourami and some friends

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110921_212630.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110921_212630.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 584
  • ForumRunner_20110921_212658.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110921_212658.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 541
Looks good. May I suggest adding a backdrop to help hide the wires, and not make the heater pop out.

Yeah I want to make it black but didn't think about it b4 I had it setup. I could have just painted it but know I gotta deal with sticking a background to it with it where it is... i really wish I had just painted it

My hood is screwed up... wonderful... one side works and the other doesn't (and yes I switched the bulbs around to see if it was the bulb or the fixture) so i'll need a new one. Wanted to do low to medium light plants. In addition to the anubias nana and java fern that are already in the tank I wanted some water sprite, amazon sword and dwarf hair grass. Also something tall but not sure what yet. Any suggestions on lighting and an attractive tall background plant that will do well in with the light requirements of the other plants I want?

Btw the substrate is PFS with laterite.

Ok didn't get to work this weekend... stupid rain, oh well just means i'll have to wait another week to get fish. While on that topic I know I want a blue gourami but have been unable to decide what else to get with it. I thought about doing an asian theme but scraped that idea because it limited my options too much. Also I think the serpae tetras from my 20 would look good in contrast to the color of the gourami and give me a chance to rework the stocking on the 20.

Was thinking something like;
1x blue gourami
6x serpae tetras
4-6x panda or julli corys
3x pitbull plecos
The tank is a 29high (was given to me as a 30 but when I measured it for lighting discovered it was only a 29) with a penguin 200 filter.
Thoughts on this stock? Could I maybe up the number of tetras?

Found an awesome site for plants thanks to a recommendation jetajockey made in another thread. Bob's is awesome and pretty cheap! It seams like almost everyday I find something useful on this site! So glad I found it

Now this tank has spawned a DIY lighting project. I got a cheep single strip T8 light that im going to retrofit for screw in CFLs. I found some bulbs that are 23w 6500k and 1640 lumen. I think 2 bulbs would be enough so I was going to get a twin socket and mount it in the center of the hood. That way I could keep all the wiring on the inside. The strip is vented and I will probably put pegs in the corners to raise it up a little to make room for the width of the bulbs and provide extra ventilation. I'll post pics. Probably gonna do it Monday.

Getting the first batch of fish Monday. What would work better with the blue gourami, serpae tetras or cherry barbs? Would the serpaes nip at the gourami? Would the gourami pick on the cherry barbs?

In my experience my blue gourami bullies and dominates the tank so I would get fish that swim quickly and provide lots of hiding areas. If I could turn back time I would never buy my gourami as I have had to take many fish back and have lost fish through him bullying. And I read somewhere that they were peaceful? Lol
Not mine!

agwats said:
Getting the first batch of fish Monday. What would work better with the blue gourami, serpae tetras or cherry barbs? Would the serpaes nip at the gourami? Would the gourami pick on the cherry barbs?

My Gourami is sort of aggressive. The worst he does is chase my Platys if the get close to him. He has never bit a fish though. Goo luck!

I know they are considered semi aggressive but I really like them. Im building this tank because I wanted a blue gourami and I want the other fish to complement him well so I've been a little indecisive. I guess since I want the serpaes out of the 20 (i'm redoing it for my wife) i'll put them in with him. If they start nipping at the gouramis fins then i'll trade them for something else. Rest of the stock will be 3 pitbull plecos, and 4-6 panda corys. Any suggestions on stocking order?

Ive heard your supposed to stock gouramis last but Ive never had experience with them myself.

I would suggest adding the gourami last. Do not put small neon tetras in as my gourami ate 3 of them when they were very small. My gourami hides at the back behind the plants so I never see him apart from at feeding lol. He doesn't bother my cory catfish though and they are a really nice little addition if you were considering any bottom dwellers.

agwats said:
Found an awesome site for plants thanks to a recommendation jetajockey made in another thread. Bob's is awesome and pretty cheap! It seams like almost everyday I find something useful on this site! So glad I found it

Bobs? Wat is the www...

lauren_88 said:
I would suggest adding the gourami last. Do not put small neon tetras in as my gourami ate 3 of them when they were very small. My gourami hides at the back behind the plants so I never see him apart from at feeding lol. He doesn't bother my cory catfish though and they are a really nice little addition if you were considering any bottom dwellers.

I will def stock the gourami last. For bottom dwellers I was thinking panda or julli corys or kuhli loaches. Am getting 3 pitbull plecos also.

Cory catfish are really cute and stay small. Really hardy too. Good luck with your tank

Ok so im gonna finish the planting then put the fish in. 6 serpae tetras, and the cory cats first. I have to order the pitbull plecos so i'll add them and then the gourami.

Back
Top Bottom