my new 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today is day 14 at 86 degrees and all remaining fish seem fine. Everyone is active and they all eat fine and I've had no deaths or signs of ich in several days :) Tomorrow i'll start dropping the temp back down. How long should I wait before replacing the lost fish? All in all I lost 3 corys 1 cherry barb and both my gourami and pleco. I figured I would get the corys and barb 1st then add the pleco and get the gourami last

I usually wait about two weeks after the last time I saw symptoms. Someone else may tell you different.

You need to keep the temp up for at least a week after you see the last visible sign of ich. Some people prefer to keep it up even longer, more like 2 weeks after the last symptom.
As for replacing fish, I suggest waiting a little bit to make sure nothing else pops back up. Technically, you can just add fish right after you put the temp back down though, but it wouldn't hurt to wait another week or 2 just to be safe. :)

Thanks for all the advice. As of today its been a week since I've seen any symptoms so i'll drop the temp over the weekend. Then i'll wait a week or so to start adding fish

As of this morning the tank is back down to 78. I'll keep an eye on everything and hopefully star restocking in a couple weeks. On the plus side my plants are growing in nicely except im having issues keeping some of the DHG down. Any tips on keeping it rooted in PFS?

absolutangel04 said:
What sort of plants do you have? You can always try plant weights for awhile.

The only thing I've had problems with is the DHG, my corys and pleco keep uprooting it.

Got the fist batch of fish since the outbreak a little over a week ago. 3 panda corys and a new longfin albino bn pleco. Everyone is active and eating well. Will be getting a new pearl soon and will have new pics up shortly :)

Haven't gotten another pearl yet but I am getting a free betta that a coworker doesn't want to keep and was thinking about adding him instead. Any ideas on if he'll work with the tetras, cherry barbs and corys?

Haven't gotten another pearl yet but I am getting a free betta that a coworker doesn't want to keep and was thinking about adding him instead. Any ideas on if he'll work with the tetras, cherry barbs and corys?

i have a red veil tail betta in my 30g with 3 khuli loaches, 3 albino corys, 2 peppered cories, 5 neon tetra's and a striped raphael catfish(had 2 but one died recently) and they are all happy and content every now and then my betta will chase a neon but he usually leaves them alone

Got the betta Sunday and he is getting along great. I don't know much about bettas but I think he's pretty and my 2yr old son is amazed by him. His fins are dark red and powder blue, the dominant color depends on how the light hits him. I've also changed the tank setup a little bit recently so here is a picture of the new setup and my new betta

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120424_180317.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120424_180317.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20120424_180344.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120424_180344.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunner_20120424_180410.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120424_180410.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 104
All my corys have died and im not sure why :( I went from 5 to 0 in 3 months losing one every couple weeks. My ammonia and nitrites are 0 and my nitrate are 20-40ppm and all the other fish have been doing fine. Any ideas what could have caused this?

My hood is screwed up... wonderful... one side works and the other doesn't (and yes I switched the bulbs around to see if it was the bulb or the fixture) so i'll need a new one. Wanted to do low to medium light plants. In addition to the anubias nana and java fern that are already in the tank I wanted some water sprite, amazon sword and dwarf hair grass. Also something tall but not sure what yet. Any suggestions on lighting and an attractive tall background plant that will do well in with the light requirements of the other plants I want?

Btw the substrate is PFS with laterite.
I don't know if someone already suggested it but I use G.E. Daylight F20 lights from Lowes. They are only $6-$7 which beats paying $20+ at the pet store.
specs:
F20T12 (fits T8 socket)
20W
1025 Lumens

In my 30gallon I have 2 Cryptocoryne wendtii (1 currently trying to propagate)
2 annubias (1 currently propagating)
1 amazon sword
all of my plants are doing well and consistently sprout new leaves (even the anubias)
if you want a good tall plant that takes off quick and is hard to kill check out some Anacharis. I am trying to find some but all the plants in the stores around here are no good

Last edited:
Ok haven't updated this in a while but I saw some panda garas at the pet store for cheap, $3 each, and really liked them. My current stock is:
1 betta
4 cherry barbs (2m and 2f)
8 pristella tetras
1 albino bn
2 peppered corys (have had bad luck with corys the most of them died off 1 at a time over about 6 months)

Would 3 or 4 garas be ok with the 2 remaining corys? I was wanting a diff bottom feeder since I hadn't been having good luck with the corys

From everything I have read my question would be do you add aquarium salt to your tank? I have read in several articles that Cory cats don't do well with salt and will die off slowly. They are one of the only fish I have read about that this happens too.

I am not an expert by any means but I will tell u what I have found. I have 6 aquariums I have salt in all of them I have found it to work wonders. I have cories in one of my tanks they are just fine. Oddly enough I have snails in 5 of my tanks n they are just fine too!!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom