my new 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
richpowell1989 said:
I use amazon frogbit looks good from below and above

I looked into that and I think we have a winner. I really like it now I just have to find some.

agwats said:
I looked into that and I think we have a winner. I really like it now I just have to find some.

I have loads pity I'm in the uk I would have sent you some

i was also thinking about a dwarf water lily but wasn't sure about the lighting. I've heard they can live and grow under lower lights but wont bloom. I was wondering if it will still produce pads since I just want the pad and am not too concerned with it blooming. anyone have any experience with this?

Sadness... I lost a julii today. All the other corys are active and happy but I noticed this little guy sitting still and alone this morning. I watched him for about 10 mins and he only moved when one of the pandas brushed against him and when I got home this afternoon he was dead :(
Checked water just to make sure and ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 10-20ppm. Im not sure what was wrong, he looked healthy, no visible damage or fungus or anything.

On the plus side the brown algae is almost totally gone and my plants are growing in nicely

Good to hear about the algae going away. Your julii might just have been bad stock. It happens. Good job checking out the water parameters, but since they are good, it was likely just a fluke. :)

Yeah I figured it was a freak death but its still sad... oh well everything else seems happy and healthy

New pics! Including a hitch hiker all grown up

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111230_141354.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111230_141354.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 123
  • ForumRunner_20111230_141410.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111230_141410.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 133
  • ForumRunner_20111230_141442.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111230_141442.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 129
  • ForumRunner_20111230_141511.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111230_141511.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 133
  • ForumRunner_20111230_141530.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111230_141530.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 131
Beautiful Pearl Gourami! You can try letting some hornwort,anachairs, or cabomba float in your tank. Duckweed will work, but a lot of people despise it.

My gourami has ich! I noticed him being less active yesterday and now there are 3 little white spots on the side of his head. I don't have an extra tank for a hospital so how should I treat it in my tank?

Do you mind reminding me really quick what all is in the tank? Ich infects the while tank, so you have to treat the whole tank anyway.
IMO, the best way way to start out is to raise the temp to 86 degrees (88if the fush can handle it). Raise it about a degree an hour or so preferably. Usually, it takes awhile for the heater to do that so you can just turn it up in small increments and keep an eye on it.

the tank has the pearl, cherry barbs, corys, pristella tetras, a bn pleco and some snails, not sure what kind as they were hitch hikers but i like them.

plant stock is cryptocoryne tropica, cryptocoryne mioya, vallisneria spirals, DHG, and java ferns if that matters.

Ok. Because of the corys, I suggest going to 86 temp. The ich will look to its getting worse for a few days, then should start to improve.
Because of the snails, I would avoid salt or any meds right now. Hopefully you won't need them. Heat alone can cure it, but not always. I suggest you just start with the heat and see how it goes. Corys don't always react well to salt/meds either. Keep us updated. Good luck. :)

Tank temp is sitting at 86 right now so let the two week countdown begin. I lost my gourami today, let's hope he's the last casualty

Sorry aout the gourami. :( Unfortunately, ich can live under the gill covers and places like that where it infects the fish long before we see it. So, sometimes by the time spots pop up its too late. It still sucks though. Hopefully everybody else pulls through!

Yeah I read that a few places. Im thinking that's probably what killed the cory that died like a week before I could see spots on the gourami. Hoping I can get thru the next 11 days without loosing anybody else

5 days into the heat treatment and my pleco is deceased :( now the casualty list includes both centerpieces... oh well as long as the tank comes out healthy I can replace the fish

Back
Top Bottom