My new 300L reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boolay1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just starting this thread as I have just returned from my LFS and ordered my 300L tank. Really excited now as upgrading my 94L. Bought the new power heads today with control box. Should find out tomorrow when delivery will be. What do people recommend for levels of a CUC for this size tank?

Tank arrives Saturday! Need to decide on best CUC, what should I put in first?

What kind of CUC really depends on what kind if fish you're gonna have in the tank.

Boolay1978 said:
A couple of clowns a small yellow tang maybe a small blue tang. Not 100% sure as yet

Blue tangs get too big for that size tank. Okay while they're small but they will grow fast.

Agree that the blue tang gets too big for that tank, but the yellow would work. :) For the CUC, I like astrea snails, banded trochus, conch, Nassarius snails and scarlet reef hermits. I would say about 25-30 Nassarius, and 25-30 total of other small snails. If you get turbos, you'll need far fewer than that. 2 conchs would be about all you'd need. And maybe 15-20 hermits. Don't add all of this at once, though. There won't be enough food yet and they'll die. Start with matbe 1/4 of that.
Cleaner shrimp are super cool. You can get an emerald or ruby crab, but I don't like my ruby for various reasons, and I rarely see it, so it's not much fun.
Congrats on the new tank!! :D

Agree that the blue tang gets too big for that tank, but the yellow would work. :) For the CUC, I like astrea snails, banded trochus, conch, Nassarius snails and scarlet reef hermits. I would say about 25-30 Nassarius, and 25-30 total of other small snails. If you get turbos, you'll need far fewer than that. 2 conchs would be about all you'd need. And maybe 15-20 hermits. Don't add all of this at once, though. There won't be enough food yet and they'll die. Start with matbe 1/4 of that.
Cleaner shrimp are super cool. You can get an emerald or ruby crab, but I don't like my ruby for various reasons, and I rarely see it, so it's not much fun.
Congrats on the new tank!! :D

Had a cleaner shrimp and loved him until my Valenti Puffer had him for lunch!! He is going back to the LFS when I get my new tank.

This is a really stupid question this is going to be my first tank with a sub, should I full the sunp then the tank then turn it on or just fill the tank and let it flow down? Not sure.....

I would fill the tank, let it flow down to make sure your overflow is working. Then turn on the return pump when enough water is in the sump. Are you sure everything is set up properly?

I would fill the tank, let it flow down to make sure your overflow is working. Then turn on the return pump when enough water is in the sump. Are you sure everything is set up properly?

It all arrives on Saturday so will set up then!

Back
Top Bottom