My new 8 week old 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mike406 said:
Definitely in the dining room. Lol. U deserve it for sure

1 pink tail trigger
2 naso tang
3 Picasso trigger
4 dwarf lion fish
5 red orange angler or orange banded sting fish
6 Papuan Toby puffer
7 blue spotted puffer
8 glass eye squirrel fish
9 blonde naso tang

I can go on and on. I have to find a bigger tank. I'm gonna budget myself at 2500 to 3000 grand for tank, stand, canopy, filtration, wave makers, and lighting, live rock and live sand. This is my wish list. Some fish may need bigger tank. In Connecticut there is a store called house of fins-- high end place. I may have them set it up and train me so I can maintain it perfectly or almost perfect.

Khij159753 said:
Got one in the bedroom yet? Love it being the first sight in the morning and at night! Bedroom for medium, livingroom for huge, and a few nanos for different rooms. Maybe 2 in the living room. Let's not forget about the reductive ;) hahaha.
And yeah if you post your list we can probably tear it apart and spit some options your way :)

Don't have one in the bedroom!! He's actually mentioned that once before, problem is space. Would have to get rid of the chair that I like. :( other problem is I sleep during day a lot of the time, so tank would have to be dark during day. Afraid that would totally mess up their circadian rhythm bad enough mines all messed up from working nights, don't need to ruin the fish's too!!! Lol. I already put the 30g in my daughters room, so I've been letting her pick the fish(she's 12). She researches what will fit in a 30g on LA, then makes a list and we go to the store. We ordered a yellow citrus clown goby from the store, not sure when its coming in.

Beengirl said:
Don't have one in the bedroom!! He's actually mentioned that once before, problem is space. Would have to get rid of the chair that I like. :( other problem is I sleep during day a lot of the time, so tank would have to be dark during day. Afraid that would totally mess up their circadian rhythm bad enough mines all messed up from working nights, don't need to ruin the fish's too!!! Lol. I already put the 30g in my daughters room, so I've been letting her pick the fish(she's 12). She researches what will fit in a 30g on LA, then makes a list and we go to the store. We ordered a yellow citrus clown goby from the store, not sure when its coming in.

I find that I can sleep even when my lights turn on :) just gotta cover the gap between the tank and the lights or get a hood lol. That's the real bright part.

If you wanna change them, if you do like half an hour change in lights on and off every few days it'll switch em over nice and easy :)

Wow I just priced a 180 with every option including filtration 2100. Glass cages.com. Anyway thanks for the input. The fish I mentioned are sick. Very cool fish

mike406 said:
1 pink tail trigger
2 naso tang
3 Picasso trigger
4 dwarf lion fish
6 Papuan Toby puffer
7 blue spotted puffer
9 blonde naso tang

I can go on and on. I have to find a bigger tank. I'm gonna budget myself at 2500 to 3000 grand for tank, stand, canopy, filtration, wave makers, and lighting, live rock and live sand. This is my wish list. Some fish may need bigger tank. In Connecticut there is a store called house of fins-- high end place. I may have them set it up and train me so I can maintain it perfectly or almost perfect.

I don't know much about tangs, but here's what I know: the naso tang and blonde naso tang will fight with other tangs. As a general rule, tangs need to not have the same body shape in order to do ok in a tank with other tangs: ie sailfin and powder blue or hippo tang. Angler fish weird, but are difficult to keep from what I've heard. That doesn't mean you can't try, though. Just know that anglers are predators, so it might catch and eat any fish that are small enough or it. It sounds like you want a predator tank with the triggers, lion, puffer, angler. And that's great, but I wouldn't put the squirrelfish (peaceful fish) in that tank. Picasso tangs are also peaceful, So you might wanna switch the tang to something a little more aggressive too, like a purple tang. You'll need to have things in there that can hold their own with the predators. :)

Great input. I will look at the tang u mentioned and I am going for a tank that is not common

Haha we can tell :) I'd keep it predator uncommon though :) sounds like a great predator tank commin along.

Khij159753 said:
Instead if a squirel fish maybe a soldier fish?

Soldier fish till listed as peaceful and maxes at 8". Might get eaten alive (literally) in there. :/

Really? Hmmm only reason I suggested is my LFS has a flounder and lionfish and soldier fish and huge tomato clown and trigger and a couple puffers all in 1 tank.

Khij159753 said:
Really? Hmmm only reason I suggested is my LFS has a flounder and lionfish and soldier fish and huge tomato clown and trigger and a couple puffers all in 1 tank.

A huge tomato!! That would add some red color to the tank!! That's a great suggestion!!!! (I know it wasn't an actual suggestion, but lets focus on the task at hand!!) lol :)

R they ok with the other fish on my list ? Idk. Also can I put feather dusters in this tank with my list of fish ?

mike406 said:
1 pink tail trigger
2 naso tang
3 Picasso trigger
4 dwarf lion fish
6 Papuan Toby puffer
7 blue spotted puffer
9 blonde naso tang

I'm usually on pretty late myself, thought I was the only one from west coast. If I could chime in here as I am planning a predator tank myself.... For a predator tank, the one thing you need to worry about is mouth sizes. You don't want to have any fish that could fit into another fishes mouth. For a 180, I would cut the naso's and go with a larger lion. Blonde Naso's are known to get ich, very easily. Maybe go with an antenneta or maybe a Russell lion. I would also choose one trigger and stick with that guy. They are super territorial and aggressive and will literally tear each other apart. I would get rid of one of the puffer as well and maybe go with a fox face and a wrasse or one or the other. Having a bit of color from maybe a banana wrasse will brighten up the tank. Also if you are up for it (as they are a pain in the rear) have you thought of a snowflake or maybe a zebra eel. They make great additions and are awesome to look at IMO. Hope I didn't come off too strong, just trying to give you some ideas.

Jmkb02 said:
I'm usually on pretty late myself, thought I was the only one from west coast. If I could chime in here as I am planning a predator tank myself.... For a predator tank, the one thing you need to worry about is mouth sizes. You don't want to have any fish that could fit into another fishes mouth. For a 180, I would cut the naso's and go with a larger lion. Blonde Naso's are known to get ich, very easily. Maybe go with an antenneta or maybe a Russell lion. I would also choose one trigger and stick with that guy. They are super territorial and aggressive and will literally tear each other apart. I would get rid of one of the puffer as well and maybe go with a fox face and a wrasse or one or the other. Having a bit of color from maybe a banana wrasse will brighten up the tank. Also if you are up for it (as they are a pain in the rear) have you thought of a snowflake or maybe a zebra eel. They make great additions and are awesome to look at IMO. Hope I didn't come off too strong, just trying to give you some ideas.

Ur input is super welcomed. I will look at the fish u mentioned shortly. I live in new York I'm not sure if u thought I was on the west coast. Lol. Just a night freak.

Oh the reason eels are a pain is due to the fact that they are great escape artist so you will need a tight lid that they cannot get through.

mike406 said:
Ur input is super welcomed. I will look at the fish u mentioned shortly. I live in new York I'm not sure if u thought I was on the west coast. Lol. Just a night freak.

No I knew one of you lived east and one lived west just didn't know as I kinda lost track as I was "snooping" along lol

Jmkb02 said:
Oh the reason eels are a pain is due to the fact that they are great escape artist so you will need a tight lid that they cannot get through.

Lol. I hear u and yes I forgot to mention an eel. For sure I am putting one in

Back
Top Bottom