My new fish arrived!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got my endlers in the mail today. Thanks, Ilikeendlers! They are beautiful, lively and healthy. They're busily checking out every inch of their new home. I'm waiting a bit longer before I turn the light on so they can adjust. Can't wait to see their colors better.

They are so small, I'm afraid if I turn my HOB filter on they will get sucked up, so I'm just using the sponge filter. I hope that's okay. There is one baby in the group.

Congrats! New fish are fun. Post some pics if you can. If you're worried about them getting sucked into the filter, you can get a sponge (the kind for filters; this one for Fluval works well as it has a hole in the middle) and put it over the intake tube, or wrap a piece of netting around it and secure it with a plastic tie or something similar.

Thanks librarygirl! I'm trying to take pics with my cellphone, but they are just so fast! They turn out like a blur. I'll see if my old digital camera works.

I began to worry that they weren't getting enough bubbles and filtration, so I stretched a bit of panythose on the end of the intake with a rubber band. I read that somewhere, and I think I did that when I had guppy fry. These are smaller than guppies, though.

Once I got it turned on, they began to play in the current, each lining up behind another, nose to tail to swim the current. Then they'd do it all over again. Very cute to see!

I've got to get another air tube thing because I have some brine shrimp eggs I want to hatch.

After my large water change, my nitrates were at 40 or more. I'd rather not have to buy special water every week. Do you think they will be healthy enough in my high nitrate tap water?

Back
Top Bottom