My New JBJ 28G HQI Nano - Tank Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night:

Ammonia .1 (really hard to gauge. >0 but < .25
Nitrite - .25
Nitrate - above 0 but less than 5
Checked Phospate as well and that has crept up to .25. The water tested at 0 before I added the rock, etc. Any thought?

What kind of rock did you add? Base rock? Did you clean the base rock before putting it in the tank? Base rock still contains dead matter on it which will decompose and start a minicycle if you don't clean all of it off, or cure it. That's my guess as to why your now seeing ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates after you've already cycled your tank. Nothing to do but let it run it's course now. :/

Oh alright, didn't see that.

And phosphates come from things like uneaten food, fish waste, sometimes the water itself if your not using RO/DI and most importantly, from decaying matter in the aquarium. The shrimp is decaying in your aquarium as we speak, so the phosphates you are seeing are coming from the decaying process of the shrimp. It's all in good health at this moment in time, and is part of the cycle. When the cycle is complete, doing water changes, getting macro algae(which uses up excess nutrients in your tank, mainly phosphates and nitrates), or using a phosban reactor(or some other phosban media) are all means of reducing the phosphates in your tank. Just worry about the cycling right now, and worry about the phosphates after your cycle is complete.

So can I just completely remove the media basket? It seems like for the most part it will just be something else to clean. I have the sponge and carbon and ceramic beads in there now.

my nano cube instructions told me not to use the ceramic rings... I tossed those and the bioballs and just added live rock rubble

I didn't get any bio balls, just the rings. Tossed them out this morning. Just the sponge and carbon for now. Will add some chaeto when I find a fuge light.

img_1083644_0_3e169323555d6ae1503cb73d88db2b3f.jpg
Thanks. Here it is after re-scaping this morning. Now I think I need more LR. ;) Hoping the numbers improve enough to add a small CUC next weekend. My daughter keeps asking, "where's the bishy daddy?"

:lach:Day 7 measurements:

Temp 78.4
pH 8.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate <5!!!!!!

Woohoo! Looks like the cycle is over! That Nitrate number may actually be zero but my eyes aren't so good. Really hard to tell, but it surely is in the acceptable range I would think. And no algae to report whatsoever despite being next to the window. I imagine that will change once the lights go on.

Now - CUC thoughts? I'm not sure if I want a hermit or a couple emeralds. Right now thinking Blue legged hermit, a handful of astraea snails if I can find some, 5 cerith snails and a cleaner shrimp. I may add a goby and maybe a zoa or shroom too to see how I do.

Get emeralds. That will cut out the small chance that the Hermits will kil your snails for shells. IMO don't get the Astrea's. They fall over and can't right themselves so you'll be forever sticking your hand in fixing them. Ceriths, good choice, Cleaner Shrimp, excellent. Goby good stuff (Clown, Watchman, Firefish are just a few) and Zoas and Shrooms are great starter corals. Tough as nails.
Get some nassarius snails. They stir your sand bed and eat the junk in it. Some Trochus snails are better alternatives of Astreas. Also maybe look at a Porcelian crab?
:)

Thanks. I may look at a Porcelain later, but thought I should get some good algae eaters for the inevitable bloom when I turn on the lights. Any advice on an online retailer? My lfs is just far enough away that ordering online will be faster, plus my lfs does not guarantee their stock. :(

I will let you know about online... I just placed an order with saltwaterfish.com that should be delivered tomorrow. :)

I know one thing.. they have very good prices and fast shipping... and they have a special section just for "nano life" ... :)

p.s. I love love love my nassa snails.. they move at the speed of light... well for snails anyway... and I watched my cerith clean a crapton of algae off the glass last night...

I went with Liveaquaria. Here is the initial stock list:

Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Astraea Snail = 2
Nassarius Snail = 12
Banded Trochus Snail = 2
2 Blue Hermits
1 Yellow Clown Goby
1 Blue/Green Chromis

Can't wait to get something in there that moves! I'll probably add some more snails/crabs as needed.

Back
Top Bottom