My new saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightowl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-4165554223.jpg

I setup saltwater tank 3 months ago
No fish stock as yet
Live rock &coral seem to be doing ok at this stage
When should I put some clownfish in

Thanks convict 2161
Well I went & bought my pair of clownfish

image-3618729353.jpg

Attachments

• image-2638471685.jpg
    image-2638471685.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 199
Beengirl said:
Tank looks great! How are the clowns doin?

Hey beengirl
Sorry for not replying straightaway as I'm a nightshift worker
Both my clownfish are doing extremely well
They are still brightly colored & very active
This pair of clowns were bought through marine plus here in Adelaide & they are not the tank bred ones
I wanted a wild pair &got the best ones out the shop woohoo
They have settled in now & feeding extremely well

Cichlid-dude said:
Nice tank, what size is it? Awesome looking clowns!

Hey

This is an aqua 980
It's 215litres
62x52x39cm
Sorry for not replying straightaway as I'm a nightshift worker
Both my clownfish are doing extremely well
They are still brightly colored & very active
This pair of clowns were bought through marine plus here in Adelaide & they are not the tank bred ones
I wanted a wild pair &got the best ones out the shop woohoo
They have settled in now & feeding extremely well

Looks great!I am a really green newbie to the hobby and I was wondering why you waiting three months to add fish? Does it take that long to cycle with lr in a tank that size or were there other factors like curing the lr? I will have a 36 gallon tank with Tukani lr and I want to do everything I can to keep fish alive and healthy(I had two damsels,not at the same time,in a 10 gal that didn't make it:( The Nitrites and Ammonia were at toxic levels...fed them to much.
:thanks:

Tank looks good, sounds like your cycling went well! What is the next type of fish that you plan on adding to the community?

Criptix said:
Looks great!I am a really green newbie to the hobby and I was wondering why you waiting three months to add fish? Does it take that long to cycle with lr in a tank that size or were there other factors like curing the lr? I will have a 36 gallon tank with Tukani lr and I want to do everything I can to keep fish alive and healthy(I had two damsels,not at the same time,in a 10 gal that didn't make it:( The Nitrites and Ammonia were at toxic levels...fed them to much.
:thanks:

G'day Criptix
Believe it or not I am also a newbie to the saltwater hobbie
The reason I waited 3 months before adding any fish is that I had started off brand new
I'm using artificial salt &3mm coral sand, I added live rock .

After a couple of weeks the coral sand developed a brownish algae which is not uncommon when starting new
I had left the saltwater in the tank changing 20 ltrs every week
This was to develop bacteria in the system & the fish need bacteria to survive

I have a basic setup at this stage & I continue to remove 20 to 40 ltrs each week &remix fresh saltwater
I also have a large external filter & vacuum the coral sand around the live rock

image-863835445.jpg

This vacuum is just left in 1position for 5 minutes then reposition to another area
I had a sample of water which was tested & results were extremely good for my system I have .

Well done matey ! Patience is a virtue in this game sounds like you've got plenty of it ! You'll do well at this hobby ! Keep the pics coming I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of your system !

I am getting advice on a sump that will be built under the cabinet
From Marine plus -great ppl -
So at this stage I will keep pics coming

image-2100356736.jpg

My overhead filter with charcoal & filter sponge & my protein skimmer which is piped through the filter for the intake
& the outlet is piped into the overhead filter

Back
Top Bottom