My oranda goldfish has red patches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0xxKyleexx0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417625691.763347.jpg

My oranda goldfish has this huge red patch, and tiny red dots all around her body. She also has what looks like salt on her mouth. I just cleaned the tank and she's now breathing heavily and sitting on the bottom of the tank. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Put her in a quarantine tank and treat her for flukes, and ick. Ick can be treated with blue and aquarium salts, flukes are treated with blue. Your LFS should have everything needed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you please provide us with some more information so that we can better help you?
Tank size?
Stock?
Exact parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph (kh and gh if you also have these)?
Water change schedule?
Have you added any new fish recently?
How long has this tank been running with fish?

Thanks!

Put her in a quarantine tank and treat her for flukes, and ick. Ick can be treated with blue and aquarium salts, flukes are treated with blue. Your LFS should have everything needed

She definitely does not have ich. We need more information in order to determine if this is the result of a water quality issue or if there is another issue that also needs to be addressed.

The tank size is about 45-50 gallons. I have four fish in total in that tank, two are the size of the one pictured above and the other two are babies. I used to change the water weekly but I have been changing it twice a week, and just today I took them out and did a full clean. I had the two larger fish for at least 4 months before adding the two babies which I added one a month ago and the other about 2-3 weeks ago. I treated the tank when I got them and everything was running pretty smooth. The tank itself has been up for a good 5 months. I'm not sure about ammonia, nitrate etc. but we've only had a problem with ammonia once and I just started cleaning the tank more often and everything was fine. My suspicions is that she is getting coloring, but the large patch happened mostly over night and I'm not sure if coloring happens that fast.

Also, since I cleaned the tank she has relaxed more and is swimming around. She has been eating normally as well, no signs of sickness apart from the red patch.

She definitely does not have ich. We need more information in order to determine if this is the result of a water quality issue or if there is another issue that also needs to be addressed.
OP said salt like stuff on the fish's mouth, fungus is stringy correct?
I'm curious what it could be then?

Thanks! Do you have anywhere you could possibly take a sample of your water to be tested? Investing in a decent liquid test kit would be a smart investment in order to catch problems before it can have affects on a fish's health. I am glad to hear that you have stepped up your water changes!

In respect to your fish, the fact that she has perked up after a big water change makes me suspicious that something was amiss with the water. The first place to start when fish health is in question is with water quality and water changes are a great start to helping remedy problems.

Let see how she feels over the next 12hrs and if there are any changes in her behavior or appearance. Don't hesitate to do another water change tomorrow either! If things do not improve or appear less positive, then moving her to a separate tank and treating her may be necessary.

Is the red area only on the area visible in the picture or are there other areas? The single area actually appears to be a scrape but if there are multiple areas, this is important to know. You also mentioned tiny red dots- are these everywhere? Does she have red veining in her fins and/or tail? These symptoms can be the direct result of a water quality issue but they can also indicate an internal infection. An internal infection typically presents with obvious symptoms- listless behavior, lack of appetite, possible bloating, etc. Keep a close eye on her and let us know how she is doing!

Theres only two red dots that ive seen so far on her, and theyre really tiny, nothing like the red patch. I do have a place I could get my water tested which I'll probably be going there soon. With that patch she has been doing completely fine, eating normally and swimming around fine. I think her sitting on the bottom was from stress. I've never taken them out of the tank to clean it so this was a first. Also, her white spots seem to have pretty much disappeared in the few hours that I saw them. Shes sleeping soundly now with her other friends:)

You may need to up your filtration with more GF as well. I recommend at least 4x tank volume hourly.
So for a 50g tank I'd use 200g of filtration. Canister Filter(s) are often best.

As far as a full clean ? Please say you kept your filter wet and didn't toss everything ???

If you over clean a tank ex. Water change, change filter pad, and vacuum all at once, you may get rid of your BB and have to cycle your tank again.

Large water changes are fine. Just don't over clean your filter.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Her red patches are completely gone today and shes very happy!

Back
Top Bottom