My plan (supernoob) --- 8 gal stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Binners

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, just thought this would be the best place to "dry run" my plan.

I have an 8gal/35l tank (largest I can fit at home), my end goal is to end up with 4/5 amano shrimp, 5/6 guppies and possibly a few dwarf gouramis if you think they'll fit.

Im trying to aim for a nice natural river look with some bogwood, and a few plants, anything in particular you think I should look out for? I'm going to buy a heater tomorrow and the gravel to get started on cycling the tank so I've still got a few weeks to chop & change the plan.

Also, my tank came with a filter Power Bio 200 Power Filter Arcadia Classica Just wondering if anyone has experience with one, as it seems a bit cheap + i've had bad experience with free bundled hardware with other purchases. Pretty sure its fine for my first run at this, but you never know.:rolleyes:

Thanks for taking the time to read this

That is a small enough tank that an internal filter can be adequate (esp. with shrimps). I don't have experience with the specific brand tho ...

I am don't think you would want to overstock the tank tho. I would say stick with the shrimp & guppies OR a pair of DG's.

If you are going for live plants, you need to pay attention to the light ... most stock hoods don't have enough light to grow plants well. Depending on your plant choice, you might need to upgrade the light or the substrate (ie gravel) ... but if you stick with easy low light plants like Java ferns, you would be OK with what you have.

And welcome to AA!

cool, thanks for the replies.

One thing I forgot to mention is the location of the tank, ive got 2 options. I'd rather keep the tank in the room I spend all my time in, the only problem is that its a small south facing room with a massive window which I know is gonna promote algae. Could I get around this by putting up some sort of shield to protect from direct sunlight? If not, my other option is my bedroom which I think is the better option but I literally only sleep in there so I wont be able to see my beatiful fishes. Is algae that much of a problem?

Keeping up with your waterchanges should certainly help with that, as will those Amano shrimp your planning on housing in there.
I would be trying to make sure it was as far back from that direct light as poss. if it was me.

I would not go with the DG if you are stocking shrimp. Gouramis are known to make snacks out of shrimp.

If you have your planted tank balanced right (that is a big IF), you can have tons of light without algae .... That is the holy grail of planted tank - a tank as bright as the midday sun in the tropics & no algae .....

For beginners, it would be best to keep to lower light. But you can always try it with the window location. Sunlight would supplement the usually inadaquate stock light, and if you find that too much, you can either turn off the tank light or put up a curtain. And you can move the tank as a last resort. An 8 isn't too big so it is easy enough to move (with most of the water drained out of course!)

Ok, I now have 4 plants, bit of driftwood a nice quiet filter and a few guppies I got off my uncle which I've just introduced. Ill post pics when I find the charger for my camera :D

Back
Top Bottom