my precious Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micky06

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:oops: Hi...I have a 20 gallons RO water with 1 oranda 1 black more 2 golden algae eater and 4 snails ...I change 2 gallons every other day and 6 gallons every weeks ..I check my water and the nitrate is 20 ..I have a low rectangle tank ,the air bubble and the pingouin 200 filter ...do I do something wrong// i don't have room for bigger tank in my trailer ...thank you for any a:thanks:dvice ..(y)

Dear Micky06,

Goldfish, even beautiful Orandas and Black Moors, have a large bio-load. The usual rule for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first and 10 for each additional one. I am going to assume that both are young so you may be able to have them survive in a 20 gallon for a while, but you will need a 30 gallon soon--just for the goldies. The footprint for a 30 is not that much larger than a 20 so you might be able to find the space. I am not familiar with your filter, but goldfish are happier with 10 X gallon/hour--or 200 gallon/hour for a 20 and 30 gallon for a 30. Goldies like airstone and other ways are adding motion to the water.

While they are in the 20 gallon, daily water changes may be necessary to keep ammonia and nitrites at 0. Your nitrate reading is good. Good luck,
Chris+

Hello Christine
I am going to try to post a picture of my tank ...I really dont have place for a bigger or I would have buy one ...I wish I could have a huge one with many orandas !!! my black moore is a baby ...not even 1 inch long .....I check my water every day and so far so good !!! ...I had before in a 5 gallons 2 regular glod fish for a year then they went in my Son's pond ...I am not planning on ever having my Precious Oranda in the pound ..ever and I will change water lot ...I use reverse osmose purified water ...I try to do my best ...Thank you for your nice answer ...do you have fishes ?? the filter does folter 200 gallons an hour excuse my english ..I am french .. sorry I don't know how to insert my tank's picture
nice reading you
Micky

a 29 gallon tall has the same footprint as a 20 gallon long.

Also the golden algae eaters are probably Chinese algae eaters. They get big and can become aggressive.

If you only want the 20 gallon tank then you would be best off just keeping one goldfish and rehoming the others.

Also you didn't mention what the problem is with this tank?

Hello Ashley
thank you for your advice ...my Son has a pond and soon as the algea eaters are getting big or mean they will go in the pond....so far so good I dont have any problem with my aquarium ....every one is doing great ...the place where my aquarium is wouldn't be strong enough for a 29 gallons and I read that it's better for the oxygen for my oranda to have a long and not high tank ...so i try to do the best I can ...thank you again Micky

Honestly, if you plan on rehoming the algae eaters, please do this now rather than later after a problem has occurred. Fancies are not compatible with these guys & your tank is quite overstocked with them in there (its overstocked with 2 goldies). The old adage 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' should be taken to heart here before theres an eye chewed off or a life lost.

Dear Micky,

Since the foot print is just about the same for a 29 as a 20 long gallon, could you reinforce what the tank is on for the addition 9 gallons of weight? I know many people have built a very sturdy stand out of cement blocks/cinderblocks from a building store, with a wood board on top. I am glad you are doing so many water changes for your fish.

I have 6 goldfish is a 125 gallon tank. An orange oranda named Bishop John Fisher, a black moor named Thomas More, an orange and white ryukin named Thomas Cramner, a calico ryukin named John Whitcliffe, an orange common named Leo the Great and a white common named Venerable Bede. Bede and Leo will be moving to a 160 gallon pond this summer--after it is set-up!
Chris+

thank you every one for your answers ...very appreciated ....I had no idea those algea eater where so bad ...right now they are very peaceful just clean up the glass ...do not even get close to the snails they're only half an inch each ...my Son has a pond so in couple months as soon as the pond will be cleaned up they will go there ...but I do keep my fishes ...the black moor is abour half of an inch he's a baby ..I check my water every day ..buy reverse osmose water and change some water every 2 days[2 gallons ] ...at 7 days I do a 50per cent water change ,they are doing good thank you ...I can't reenforce my countertop and I can't ad any more weight ...but I will take good care ..thank you for all your advice ....

Back
Top Bottom