Nano Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffer, it's a catylast that water runs through or merges with that constantly buffers the water to maintain a certain ph. A lot of people use crushed coral but I use one specficxaly to keep it at 8.3

I still don't understand why I need a new filter. I'm willing to get a new one, but I'd rather keep mine. If it's a bacterial thing, I can bleach it.

Internal filters are nitrate traps that cause a lot issue and take up a lot of room in a already small tank

Could I do anything to prevent nitrate buildup? It's not too crowdes

If I'm going to do this tank, then I'm going to do it right. I'll be checking online for filters. Do I need dry or live rock?

Just so I keep in the loop are we still at a 1.5G size?

You can use live sand and live rock and or just live rock, and make sure it is really live, not just a SW rock they added to the tank last week. You can ask which ones have been in their tanks the longest.

If I'm going to do this tank, then I'm going to do it right. I'll be checking online for filters. Do I need dry or live rock?

Still at 1.5 gallons. How much should I expect to pay my LFS for a pound and a half of live rock? Is any sand fine for SW, or do I have to buy special stuff?

$8-10 for the rock. You want aragonite based sand, usually you can find it in the sw section of your fish store.

Would crushed coral be a good substrate? And how much should it cost?

The crushed coral also traps more muck which is of course something which one would prefer not to do for a 1.5G.

My smallest nanos have been 5G but with weekly water changes and LR and LS I had excellent water conditions everytime I tested. 2-3 times per week if you actually get to feeding them. Even if it is a couple cups of water per pwc. Our SW lfs had a tiny vase cube had a little light and some fun things, they changed it up every few months though.

Blue leg Hermits, 1". One problem with Hermts and snails is that they often want to rip the snails out of their shells. Also need to provide a few additional shells for each, in larger sizes.

Don't go for a Halloween or other large sized Hermit though

Back
Top Bottom