Nearly All Fish fighting when lights go out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny.

Aquarium Advice Regular
As soon as i turn my tank lights out all the fish in the tank start to chase each other. Whats going on here are they stressed? The tank is quite large and all water tests show no problems with the water..

When do you feed your fish? I find that mine are most aggressive soon after a feeding...

What kind of fish?

Does this continue or is just like a scared reaction to the instant loss of light?

my fish "jump" (swim actually, but in terms of someone being scared they jump) and dart accross the tank whenever the lights click out. My schooling fish I guess appear to chase each other, but they're really just schooling frantically due to the sudden loss of light.

Thanks for replying,
I have 6 mollies (2 males), 3 guppys (2 males),2 platy's (female), a plec, 3 clown loach, 1 ruby shark and a betta and also 3 shrimp that are in a breeding trap because they are far too small for the main tank they are also accompanied by a male guppy who has felt the bettas wrath. The only ones that are peaceful are the loaches, plec and shark. They all seem unconcerned with the frenzy above them, all the rest however are chasing each other around like mad, its not really dependant on species they just chase anything that comes near them.
we made the mistake of putting a betta in with guppys, we did not realise they were incompatible, we are currently cycling a small tank that can be used to seperate the betta from our main tank as he keeps nipping at the mollies aswell. Other than this mistake we have done our research throughly, and are really quite surprised at this behaviour. all ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, temperature are all fine. We really dont know what to do and dont want to jeapordise their quality of life, but we are lost for an explanation.

My fish also do a freak out when I turn their lights off. They start darting around everywhere, especially the dwarf gourami and harlequin rasboras. At this time, I cover the tank with a beach towel, and it seems to calm them down. :)

thanks for the advice, i think it was just the intial loss of light they seemed to calm down abit after 5 minutes or so.

i leave my room light on then take off the tank then take off the light but am usually on the computer so theirs still light... if ur light switch in ur room has a dimmer u could use that to ur atvantage...

Back
Top Bottom