Need a Tang ID please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have had this tang for a few months and am still uncertain as to what it is exactly. I bought it as a mustard tang but it appears darker than a typical mustard. It has the same markings, with the dots on the back end and the line behind the head....

Here are some pictures, they arent the best but hopefully someone can positively id him.

Thanks guys!

Although the colours are fairly dark, it matches Acanthurus leucopareius pretty well. Do an image search on that species to see if it looks okay.

Tony

That pretty much looks like my fish!!! Mine is a tad bit darker and has been since I picked him up so I guess he is just a darker specimen. :)

Thanks so much for the id! I appreciate it very much!

As a side question, is it related to the mustard tang as it looks very similar to that as well just a bit darker.

They may well be closely related, but I'm unaware of any studies that have examined this. Most studies have of relationships within the Acanthuridae have included under a subset of Acanthurus species in their analyses.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom