Need Advice on Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey. I posted on another thread that I got a free 55 gallon tank with a bunch of African Cichlids from a pet store that was going out of business. The guy gave me 3 filters off of tanks that were running for a while. He said this would cycle the tanks.

I have about 20 cichlids, and I've been all over the internet trying to id them. Some are definitely yellow labs. Others Im pretty sure are Red Zebras. And I thik I have some male and female Chinunis. Then there are some that are gray with a brownish-gray stripe running horizontally. I thought at first they were Auratus, but they have no yellow.

In the I had an Aqua 70, the I added an Aqua 110- both from the pet store used- but the 110 looks awful because I put the tank too close to the wall and it had to go on the fronjt. I think what I'm going to end up doing is putting two Aqua 70s in there. That seems like pretty good filtration, which I figure I 'll need because its a lot of fish.

I have a whole bunch of rocks and caves. About four big rocks, placed so there are crevaces, with caves and ornaments in between and a ton of fake plants.

Now I am freaked out because I read at Petsmart that cichlids are for the 'advanced' hobbyist...and I've only had goldfish and a community tank of tetras. So I don't know if I'm up to this, but I REALLY want to do right by these fish.

Please advise!

smaller cichlids are docile enough and easy enough to feed I wouldn't worry...just make sure your water quality is ok, "advanced" hobbyist usually means that they need specific water parameters, but most will adapt to a higher PH...just gonna have to do some research...I wouldn't worry too much, you should be ok!

You'll be ok. Research their basic care and it'll be fine. :)IDing Africans is definitely a challenge (and one I'm weak on) because there are different color variations between genders, juvies and adults, etc. and a lot of hybridization. Best to identify Malawi or Mbuna and go from there. Hopefully one of the folks that knows africans well will chime in.

Don't worry about what Petsmart says. They give wrong info for most fish anyway. ;)

The reality is that many African cichlids are hardy and easy to care for. The biggest challenge with them IMO is stocking compatible species in appropriate M/F ratios. This helps to control aggression. A tank that is stocked with incompatible species or improper ratios will often become a bloodbath when the fish hit sexual maturity.

First, I think we should try to figure out what fish you have. If you can post some pics of the fish that you can't ID, I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you.

Regarding your filtration, the 2 AC70's would work, but IMO it would be better to run one AC70 and the AC110. If possible, I'd suggest moving the tank away from the wall so you can fit the 110 on the back. I've done this many times during a large water change and it's not too difficult. :)

Post pics and we will ID them. Like HN1 said, there is a fair amount of hybridization taking place because of the LFS's keeping "mixed cichlid" tanks. Take some good pics and we should be able to tell what they are. Also, here is a good site with alot of pictures of cichlids at all stages of life to help you along. Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum . Just browse around that site and see if any look familiar to you. Also the care of cichlids is no harder than other fw fish. In alot of cases they are hardier and easier to take care of than alot of other FW fish. Dont stress!! Post some pics and we will go from there. All will be golden!

Don't worry about what Petsmart says. They give wrong info for most fish anyway. ;)

The reality is that many African cichlids are hardy and easy to care for. The biggest challenge with them IMO is stocking compatible species in appropriate M/F ratios. This helps to control aggression. A tank that is stocked with incompatible species or improper ratios will often become a bloodbath when the fish hit sexual maturity.

First, I think we should try to figure out what fish you have. If you can post some pics of the fish that you can't ID, I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you.

Regarding your filtration, the 2 AC70's would work, but IMO it would be better to run one AC70 and the AC110. If possible, I'd suggest moving the tank away from the wall so you can fit the 110 on the back. I've done this many times during a large water change and it's not too difficult. :)

I really don't think I can possibly move a 55 gallon tank, even a half empty one....but I can try I guess. I'm only a wimpy woman wiht a bad back to start ... which is why as soon as I got the 55 gallon I invested in a python- though I don't know how to use it (that'll be another thread) We'll se, for now I'll just leave it.

be careful if you try and move it... with the weight from the water and substrate, you could potentially crack the glass... or worse:( i tugged around on my 2/3 empty 55 the other day and could hear the glass popping... as for the python, what do you need help with? they are very simple to use, if you use them right... the key is filling the hose with water before you try and vacuum... i turn mine on in the sink and run water until the hose is full then go to the tank im emptying and start siphoning water that way...

I really don't think I can possibly move a 55 gallon tank, even a half empty one....but I can try I guess. I'm only a wimpy woman wiht a bad back to start ... which is why as soon as I got the 55 gallon I invested in a python- though I don't know how to use it (that'll be another thread) We'll se, for now I'll just leave it.

Use your feminine charm and get a few big strong men to help with the move.....LOL

As far as the python goes you just need to remove the strainer thingy from your faucet and screw on the attachment. The bottom of the attachment moves up or down. I believe when it is in the up position it will fill the tank and in the down position it will siphon from the tank. Once you figure it out you will love it....

Spoonman is spot on.

Africans like lots of rocks (basically a big pile in the middle of your tank, as high as you can safely go) and a lot of caves/territories. A territory doesn't have to be a cave, but there should be some sort of defining feature that is unique from the rest of the tank.

you never move a tank with water in it. that will help lol.

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Tank Size[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Outside Dimensions in Inches (L x W x H)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Weight Empty and Full (lbs)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]55 Gallon[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]78[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]625[/FONT]

You know, I think I'm not going to risk moving it. Yes, I know the 110 would be better, but I think two 70s would be ok, and maybe i can add to that one of my smaller filters that i have floating around, like a whisper 20 or something. After all, each 70 individually is usually considered more than enough for a 55 gallon (according to the lfs anyway) I just really don't want to risk cracking the tank.

I can't wait to post a picture- you can tell me if its set up ok. I may invest in some more rocks- and pile them as you suggested.

I've got an african cichlid 125g tank with 2 rena xp4, 2 aquaclear 70 ph's and a 20 gallon sump filled with plants.

I've gotta say, Cichlids compared to tetra's/guppies, the guppies are for more advanced aquarists. I've seen guppies just disapear for no reason, but I've seen cichlids live through horrible water conditions.

The most success I've had with cichlids is to have lots of driftwood or rock for them to call their own, over filter, have lots of water flow; powerheads if neccessary, and have a lot of them(fish)

be careful if you try and move it... with the weight from the water and substrate, you could potentially crack the glass... or worse:( i tugged around on my 2/3 empty 55 the other day and could hear the glass popping... as for the python, what do you need help with? they are very simple to use, if you use them right... the key is filling the hose with water before you try and vacuum... i turn mine on in the sink and run water until the hose is full then go to the tank im emptying and start siphoning water that way...

I've NEVER had this problem. Notice I didn't suggest moving the tank across the room or anything. I'd empty the tank about 3/4 of the way and pull on the stand to slowly inch it away from the wall. If done carefully, it's not going to harm the tank at all. I've had to do this many times for switching filters and such.

That said, it isn't necessary, just a suggestion. ;)

I've NEVER had this problem. Notice I didn't suggest moving the tank across the room or anything. I'd empty the tank about 3/4 of the way and pull on the stand to slowly inch it away from the wall. If done carefully, it's not going to harm the tank at all. I've had to do this many times for switching filters and such.

That said, it isn't necessary, just a suggestion. ;)

well maybe i had more like half a tank of water and a VERY flimsey stand lol... not to mention an old tank... its always better to be safe than sorry though and i didnt have a python and i was moving it farther away from the sink... and i keep all my tanks 6-8" from the wall for easy filter changing, etc now after many times of emptying and filling the tanks...

Back
Top Bottom