NEED HELP ASAP!!! My Betta is almost dead!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I noticed that my betta was staying in the bottom left hand corner of my tank. When I came into work today he has barely breathing.
I couldn't get him to move. At first I thought he was dead but then I saw his gills move. I tried to get him to move with a net and when he tried to his tail disentigrated (sp) and little pieces of his tail went everywhere. What's wrong with him? What should I do? Should I put him down? Please Help!!

first, do you know how old your betta is? Also, how long have you had him and what are the tank specifications (size, water perameters which if you don't have a testing kit then you can take a sample of water to your fish store and they should do it for you). This will help everyone figure out what is wrong with your betta.

He's gotten worse. Now's he's laying on his side. I don't have a water test kit. I have one but when I moved I accidently packed it away in storage.
I've had the betta for a little less than a year maybe 10 months or so.

What size tank have you got him in? I dont keep bettas myself but I do know a few that do keep them in little 2g tanks. If you have something similar change the water in it. How often do you do water changes?
Is the tank heated? If so to what temp?
Could anything have been sprayed near the tank? ie flyspray, deodorant or anything aerosol?
Can you take a sample of water to your lfs to be tested? It would really help us work out what is wrong.
Any other symptoms?

I have heard of betta "tail rot" before. I will PM An t-iasg for you, maybe she knows.
Small water changes are probably best for right now.

He's past away. The other fish in there seem to be fine.
I did add 2 ottos friday. I wonder if that had to do with it. I didn't QT them.

To answer Springcheeks, I have him in a 6 gal. There is a heater and I keep it at 72-74. I changed the water once a week. Nothing that I know of was sprayed in it. It has a top on it.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Bettas do like a tropical 80F. Most tropical species like the temp at 78.

Hi solie,
I'm sorry to hear about your betta. :( My previous betta also acted like that before he died -- laying at the bottom, or on his side, and gills moving rapidly.

A 6-gallon tank is a good size for a betta. I know the chain stores say they can be kept in a bowl, but IME, a larger tank, at least 5 gallons, is better. Your temperature was too cool for a betta -- they like to be kept at 80-82 degrees. It's possible that the cool temps stressed him out and made him vulnerable to disease.

Was the betta acting sick before the otos were added? But then again, betta sickness can happen so fast. I had my previous bettas in unheated bowls, and they got finrot frequently. When I added a heater, and put them in a 5-gallon tank, it helped. Finrot is usually a sign of stress and that something isn't quite right with the tank. Finrot, when caught early, is usually easily treated with antibiotics. A good environment for a betta will help prevent finrot. Bettas should have correct water parameters (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20-40 ppm), temperature of 80-82 degrees, very little water movement, and peaceful tankmates. I never had a betta in a community tank, but some bettas do well, and some prefer to be alone.

Here's an article on otos: http://www.otocinclus.com/newoto.html
Be sure to check out the Feeding Page too. Otos need algae or vegetables in their diet, and they prefer the nitrates to be below 20 ppm.

Well after some time in storage I was able to find my test kit.

pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.1
Nitrate - 5

Is there anything wrong with those?

When I look at my tetra it looks like his tail is thinning.
I also got my Melafix. Should I use that?

Matt

Back
Top Bottom