Need help breeding Platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy 1077

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last week I bought 3 platies (1 male 2 females) and I was wondering what I need to do to breed them they are in a 20 gallon tank with no other tank mates

I have platys: it's simple: give it time. Shouldn't be more than a month before you see a big belly. If you want to speed things up, give them live food every once in a while, but it is not nesecarry. Just wait

Fishguy1111

Ok thanks and what do I feed the fry and could the fry live in the tank with the parents

For the first couple months, the parents will try to eat the kids until the kids are too big. I fed my fry the same food as their parents, just crushed up into dust sized pieces. You could put up a tank divider, or setup lots of hiding spots. Most survive.

Fishguy1111

Last week I bought 3 platies (1 male 2 females) and I was wondering what I need to do to breed them they are in a 20 gallon tank with no other tank mates

2 females are not enough for one male. You need at least one more female, ideally 2-3. I like to keep my ratio around 1:5.

Feed the females high quality food. Quality flakes, brine shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, etc...without proper nutrition they need post partem they suffer huge amounts of stress and sometimes die. You also should ideally remove the male for the first 36-48 hour after birth to give the female time to heal and relax.

Provide lots of cover for in-tank birth. Both bottom cover, and floating cover are equally important for the fry. If you choose to seclude the female to a breeding box like I do, remove her once she squares off. This transition causes stress, and many times speeds up birth, which is why you want to wait until she's good and ready. Remove after 36-48 hours after birth.

It's quite simple. Buy male and female platys. Keep water quality good and wait. They'll do the work ;)

Back
Top Bottom