need help choosing african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To begin, how big is the tank you plan to stock? What kind of filtration?
Ever been to cichlid-forum.com?
It's a good place to spend some serious time and attention, particularly the library and profiles sections at the top of the site.
Of course, the forums are also great for specific questions regarding compatability, as well as loads of other details/issues you may want to consider.
Regarding any type of tropheus, they're best kept in large groups of 12 or more. They're very aggressive toward their own kind, small groups will end up as a single survivor. They require vegetable-based food, and wouldn't be good to mix with the others you have listed.
Peacocks are available in a variety of colors, best kept 1m/3-4f, and aren't strictly vegetarians like tropheus. Only the males are colorful, females are plain, silvery fish.
L. sexfasciatus, did you notice that it is recommended that other fish be removed from the tank when they spawn? They don't play well with others when breeding.
Zebra's are very aggressive fish, 1m/6-7f, not suitable to keep with peacocks, or any less-aggressive species.

The mix that you are looking at is a combination of Lake Malawi and Tang. Stick to a single lake. Are you looking for smaller colorful fish? What size tank do you have?

Fishyfanatic said:
The mix that you are looking at is a combination of Lake Malawi and Tang. Stick to a single lake. Are you looking for smaller colorful fish? What size tank do you have?

I have convict cichlids south america, blood parrot central america?, clown loaches indonesia, jewel cichlids west africa, african frog synodontis eupterus central africa in the same pot. They get along well in a 29g though all are very young.

You will eventually have to upgrade the size of your tank. A 29 gal is not large enough to accomidate even the parrots. Just because they are living together does not mean they are thriving. When it comes to African Cichlids you do not mix from different lakes. South/Central American is not as big of a deal as long as they are similar in temperment. But when it comes to Africans, it's not a good idea. Neither is mixing African Cichlids with non-African cichlids.

I would not recommend keeping tropheous as a first time.
They seem to be alot more delicate. Feeding them a vegetable diet, while a varied diet for the rest would be near on impossible.
Peacocks i'm not a big fan of, so I won't comment.
Mixing the lakes is more then possible, but generally not ideal for either species.
I agree that sexfasciatus is aggresive around breeding times and caution should be taken,
although i have never seen red zebra display more then typical african aggression.

~Matt

I have convict cichlids south america, blood parrot central america?, clown loaches indonesia, jewel cichlids west africa, african frog synodontis eupterus central africa in the same pot. They get along well in a 29g though all are very young.
There is a difference between keeping fish and caring for fish.
I can clearly see which is the case here.

Back
Top Bottom