Need help cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I stopped using fish food 6 days ago when I preformed the big WC. Thats when I dosed to 4ppm with ammonia. I haven't added any ammonia since.

Tiwaz said:
I stopped using fish food 6 days ago when I preformed the big WC. Thats when I dosed to 4ppm with ammonia. I haven't added any ammonia since.

The fluctuation in pH is a mystery to me. I know the cycling products can cause some odd things to happen, but I've never heard of pH changes. What type of ammonia are you using? Are you certain it is pure without surfactants, perfumes, detergents, etc...? I suppose if there are any additives to the ammonia it could be changing the acidity.

To the best of my knowlegde its pure. there aren't any other items listed in it there aren'y any colourants , perfumes no suds on a shake test. Since I am in Canada there is no option of finding an ACE hardware.

Day 8

Ammonia 2.0ppm
NitrIte 1.0ppm
NitrAte 7.5ppm.............between 5 and 10 ppm
pH 7.2
Temp 84.2f

Topped off the tank with 2.5 gallons due to evaporation 6 hours before testing.

Day 9

Ammonia 1.5ppm
NitrIte 1.5ppm
pH 7.2
Temp 84.2f

Day 10

Ammonia 1.0ppm
NitrIte 1.5ppm
pH 7.2
Temp 84.2f

Redosed ammonia to bring it back up.

Your new cycle is looking good so far. I had trouble when aiming for a 4ppm level of ammonia but finally completed my cycle using ammonia levels of 2ppm.

Could you tell us what brand of ammonia you are using ?

Day 11

Ammonia 1.0ppm
NitrIte 5? ppm unreadable
NitrAte 20ppm
pH 7.2
Temp 84.2f

Doing a large WC to bring NO2 down
I'll test again after

Day 11.5

Ammonia 0.5ppm
NitrIte 1.5ppm
NitrAte 10ppm
pH 6.8
Temp 84.3

This is after a 60% WC

Nice looking tank! What are you going to put in it?

Thanks, I don't know what I am going to stock yet. I was leaning towards cichlids but local selection is less than notable.
I am getting tired of the circular discussion at all of the LFS that I have visited.

"what kinds of cichlids do you have"
"Africans"
"where are they from, what lake?"
"uhhh????? lake?"
" yes lake , Malawi, Tanganyika?"
"Doesn't matter they all get along fine"

I expect this from say "PetSmart" but this has also been at a place that only had cichlids. Who knows mybe they do, maybe I should just buy up the "assorted africans" stock put them in my tank and see what happens.:banghead:

LOL! I made that mistake once, buying the assorted africans! But I know next to nothing about cichlids and wasn't prepared at all for them. Thankfully the lfs let me return them.

Day 12

Ammonia 0.25ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 10ppm
pH 6.8
Temp 84.3

I forgot to mention that the ammonia was redosed again after the last WC,
and in less than 12 hours this is where I am .

I think I am close.

Tiwaz said:
Day 13

Ammonia 0.0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 10ppm
pH 6.8
Temp 77.6

I think I am there.

Sounds like you've got it nailed! The only thing I'd suggest is to keep dosing and testing the bio-filter a few times to make sure it is stable. I'm always leery of the bottled bacteria products and have heard too many stories of crashing bio-filters. I think you're good to go, but I'd encourage you to continue dosing up to 3-4ppm a few more times and make sure ammo and no2 are zeroing out in 24 hours. If so...you're all set! Remember to lower the temp (don't want to cook your new fish), and insure your no3 is below 20. Great job! Thanks for doing a fishless cycle :)

Day 14

Ammonia 0.0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 10ppm
pH 6.8
Temp 77.6

Fish have moved in. Also put in a few more plants.

I'll try and get some pics up in a day or so.

Thanks for all the help.

Day 14

Ammonia 0.0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 10ppm
pH 6.8
Temp 77.6

Fish have moved in. Also put in a few more plants.

I'll try and get some pics up in a day or so.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad I was the first to see the post :) Great job, congratulations...and thanks for doing a fishless cycle! Enjoy your fish! I know they're going to enjoy your aquarium.

Wow, congrats! You cycled fast! I'm still waiting lol Good luck with your tank. Post pics of your new fishie friends when you get them!

Back
Top Bottom