NEED HELP - how to cycle a full R/O DI tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dregaunis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,

I have read the article on fishless cycling The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

I love the idea and the science behind it, as well as this being the humane way to cycle an aquarium. I really didn't want to get some hardy fish and watch them die slowly.

However it doesn't have any suggestions as to additives for 100% R/O DI water.

My municiple water system uses chloramines instead of chlorine and the PH is VERY high, well, here's the link to my municiple water source.
Water Quality - City of Sioux Falls

I know 100% pure RO isn't needed, but I simply want to "reset" my water so I don't have to fight with PH lowering or hardness levels. I tried this when I was younger and only had a 20gallon tank, and it was hell. And I paid 100 bucks for the filter so I'm going to use it to the full extent haha.
Here is a link to the filter 6 Stage Aquarium Reef Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System Ro Di 100 GPD | eBay

I am needing information on when to add things to the aquarium such as a peat ball to keep the PH at a certain level (I'm not sure if the peat ball will absorb amonia when it's at its highest levels and keep leeching trace amounts or not) . Then also when to add the trace elements and buffers, I don't know if I should add them during the cycle, or just before I add the fish. I would think I should add the PH buffers & peat ball after the cycling is done, but with the PH I am going to want (around 6.5 to 7) I don't want to mess it up.

Is there a guide out there for people who use 100% RO water? I really don't want a huge PH swing to happen while I'm cycling, I'm already having a hard enough time getting my biohome media to my door, stamps.com evidently likes to change zip codes to different cities.

I'm really excited to get a hold of a bunch of baby black veil angelfish so I really want to do this right :)

Thank you for any help you can provide, sorry if I rambled :-/

Doug

Hi folks,

I have read the article on fishless cycling The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

I love the idea and the science behind it, as well as this being the humane way to cycle an aquarium. I really didn't want to get some hardy fish and watch them die slowly.

However it doesn't have any suggestions as to additives for 100% R/O DI water.

My municiple water system uses chloramines instead of chlorine and the PH is VERY high, well, here's the link to my municiple water source.
Water Quality - City of Sioux Falls

I know 100% pure RO isn't needed, but I simply want to "reset" my water so I don't have to fight with PH lowering or hardness levels. I tried this when I was younger and only had a 20gallon tank, and it was hell. And I paid 100 bucks for the filter so I'm going to use it to the full extent haha.
Here is a link to the filter 6 Stage Aquarium Reef Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System Ro Di 100 GPD | eBay

I am needing information on when to add things to the aquarium such as a peat ball to keep the PH at a certain level (I'm not sure if the peat ball will absorb amonia when it's at its highest levels and keep leeching trace amounts or not) . Then also when to add the trace elements and buffers, I don't know if I should add them during the cycle, or just before I add the fish. I would think I should add the PH buffers & peat ball after the cycling is done, but with the PH I am going to want (around 6.5 to 7) I don't want to mess it up.

Is there a guide out there for people who use 100% RO water? I really don't want a huge PH swing to happen while I'm cycling, I'm already having a hard enough time getting my biohome media to my door, stamps.com evidently likes to change zip codes to different cities.

I'm really excited to get a hold of a bunch of baby black veil angelfish so I really want to do this right :)

Thank you for any help you can provide, sorry if I rambled :-/

Doug

Why don't you do 50% RODI and 50% tap? This will give you something more inline with what many already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use DI water and add Seachem Equalibrium.

Why don't you do 50% RODI and 50% tap? This will give you something more inline with what many already have.

I live in an apartment where they also soften the water like crazy, however that's not my main question, the main question is about when to add the additives. I know everyone is loving the 50/50 R/O thing, but that's not what I'm going to do.

You need to remineralize your water before you add it to the tank!
Messing with water in the tank is a recipe for disaster.
There are many recipes for remineralizing which you can experiment with to get the water exactly as you like it.....
Your angels unless wild caught do not need or want 100 ro and NO freshwater tank needs the DI at all.....

Back
Top Bottom