Need help on cycling a new 5g tank for sick betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I have a problem that I'm hoping to get some advice on. I have a 5g tank with a betta in it and he hasn't been looking to well lately. Almost seems as he may have injured his back as he barely swims, using his fins on the side of his head only and has been laying on the substrate.

In the past few weeks there has been an outbreak of beard algae and rather than try to treat the tank, I purchased an identical kit from Walmart (Great little tank for those interested and it's only $20 now). I want to transfer the betta over only... new substrate, new cave, etc... But I can't wait the 6 weeks to cycle the tank. I have a 75g planted tank with a Rena XP3 and I was thinking of putting the new filter in the Rena and letting it seed that way. Does anyone know how long it would take for the new (small) filter to seed so that I can transfer the Betta as soon as possible?

Also, one last question... anyone have any recommendations for a low light plants that would be good for a betta tank. I've been moving trimming from the 75g T5/CO2 tank, but they don't last that long.

Thanks again for any and all help,

Mog

Hi all,

I have a problem that I'm hoping to get some advice on. I have a 5g tank with a betta in it and he hasn't been looking to well lately. Almost seems as he may have injured his back as he barely swims, using his fins on the side of his head only and has been laying on the substrate.

In the past few weeks there has been an outbreak of beard algae and rather than try to treat the tank, I purchased an identical kit from Walmart (Great little tank for those interested and it's only $20 now). I want to transfer the betta over only... new substrate, new cave, etc... But I can't wait the 6 weeks to cycle the tank. I have a 75g planted tank with a Rena XP3 and I was thinking of putting the new filter in the Rena and letting it seed that way. Does anyone know how long it would take for the new (small) filter to seed so that I can transfer the Betta as soon as possible?

Also, one last question... anyone have any recommendations for a low light plants that would be good for a betta tank. I've been moving trimming from the 75g T5/CO2 tank, but they don't last that long.

Thanks again for any and all help,

Mog
You can simply transfer a little but of filter media from your established tank to you new filter and you have an instant cycle. With a clean tank and frequent water changes your Betta should perk up.

As for low light plants and a Betta I'd et a few anubias and maybe a small bronze crypt.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that small 5g tank uses the small filter cartridges that slide into a slot. And of course in the Rena I have the foam pads in two of the chambers and biomax in the middle... You think if I cut a piece of foam from one of the pieces in the Rena the same size as the cartridge filter and just laid along the back of the cartridge filter, that would suffice?

I don't want to harm my daughters favorite fish :) We've had him for a year and a half, he lost sight in one eye and I'm trying to do what I can to help him :)

Mog

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that small 5g tank uses the small filter cartridges that slide into a slot. And of course in the Rena I have the foam pads in two of the chambers and biomax in the middle... You think if I cut a piece of foam from one of the pieces in the Rena the same size as the cartridge filter and just laid along the back of the cartridge filter, that would suffice?

I don't want to harm my daughters favorite fish :) We've had him for a year and a half, he lost sight in one eye and I'm trying to do what I can to help him :)

Mog

That should be fine. I'd just make sure to keep a close eye on water params and keep up with pwcs. Betta a very hardy fish! Good luck!

I have hornwort with all my Bettas, with no lighting and only filtered sunlight through a window, and it's doing great. Good luck, hope the betta does well!

Thanks all, I really appreciate the advice. I received the tank, just have to go buy a new heater for it as I don't want to put anything other than "fish" in the new tank. The hair algae is getting bad...

I'll see if I can find some hornwort and bronze crypt locally. I'm looking for some tall, soft plants and fish likes lay in them and think the hornwort would be a good choice.

One last question, which is off topic, so I may make a new post... The new 5 gallon tank does not have the same filter the original one does... The original was one of those that you hang on the back and I liked it, since it creates a little air mixture in the water with the water falling in. The new one is this small little filter which I'm assuming goes into the tank and hangs on to the back with a suction cup... so it will filter, but not mix any air into the tank. Which I know with a betta is not necessary... I'll try to post a link to the tank I bought... it shows the filter. Should I buy a hang on back filter or do you think this will be sufficient? I've never seen one like this before... It's not exactly what's shown, it's a little smaller and has four little outputs on the front and slots in the back I'm assuming are the intake... really odd.

Get this Hawkeye 5 gal Tank Aquarium Kit at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Back
Top Bottom