Need help plant not looking so healthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could one one tell me what's wrong with this plant? And what kind of fertiliser I can add to help this plant growing again?

It's in a shrimp tank and it's kind of going yellowish brown and don't know what to do
Here are some pictures
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1320.JPGIMG_1321.JPG

Please help!

Thanks

May I just clerify? Is that a water sprite... if it is than I had the same exact thing and i was unable to save it, I just ended up throwing it away... I did lots of research and many people have the same thing happen to them, I gave my friend a piece and he said his is still alive because he trims it alot, so that may be one way but thats when its big so i dont know...

hi no the plant that is in the tank is Myriophyllum mattogrossense when i planted it in the first week it was all fine looked healthy but now its going down hill and i dont know whats wrong with it and what i should do?

can anyone please help?

thanks

It could be transitioning to different water and could be growing roots, it might shoot new growth soon, how long ago did you get it?

It's not that as I have had this plant for about 2 months now it definitely looks like it's dying

Does anyone know if this plant is a root feeder or does it feed from the leaves?

Also any help on this is appreciated!

Try some seachem flourish. It's a liquid fert and seem to work well for a lot of people. Good luck

I rather not add any old thing to the tank I want to find out what the problem is and why it's dying at least this way I know what I need to add

Well then you gotta tell us your lighting, water temperature, what kind of substrate your using, and water parameters... Thanks

The lighting is aqua flux 7000K
Water temp is around 25-26c it is a open top tank and the substrate is very small aquarium gravel
As for water parameters I'm not sure as I don't have anything to test it with but thinking of doing a large water change today

Can you not tell what the plant is lacking from the colour of the leaves or the way it is?

I was thinking of using easy profit fertiliser or root tabs how good are these and would this work with this plant?

Kind of following along here to learn a bit. I've had plants that try to transition from shop to tank - hoping yours makes it.

The browning I looked up and in my tank it has been either very high phosphates (off the charts from dosing buffers), high iron (from overdosing iron ferts) or low phosphates (mainly I see this more in fast growing hygro as holes in lower leaves).

Most times for me dosing potassium helps. Nitrates and phosphates come from fish food / fish waste and micro elements from water changes.

Are you getting any algae or do other plants grow in the tank? If you have other plants growing perhaps this plant just can't adjust for some reason.

hi but the thing is i have had this plant in the tank for about 2 months now and it seems like its just going down hill.

this is the only plant i have growing in my tank other than java moss but only a couple of strands and a moss ball.

no algae growing just this plant just doesnt seem to grow if anything die!
do you think if i add root tabs underneath the plant that contained mostly all the marco ingredients that it would start to take off again instead of buying liquid ferts?

thanks

You could try root tabs. I've had good growth from them (better than ferts dosing in water although that's what I do daily). If you can pull one out (I'd gently try) and no roots developing it's probably looking grim.

What kind of root tabs would you suggest that I can use? I have a feel this plant is near to its end.

I would really like a plant similar to this that I can grow I like the bushy plant with this kind of texture
Is the any plant that you know of are similar to this?

Hornwort, bacopa caroliniana, water sprite, java fern, I would believe water sprite would be closest to your plant...

I like the water sprite but it does look different to the one I currently have is there any other plant that is very similar to this?

Also can anyone tell me what this plant is lacking from the colour of the leaves and the way it is?

Thanks

What kind of root tabs would you suggest that I can use? I have a feel this plant is near to its end.

I would really like a plant similar to this that I can grow I like the bushy plant with this kind of texture
Is the any plant that you know of are similar to this?

I've never tried root tabs with shrimp. Seachem I think does a good line. I've used API ones as well as generic ones and DIY ones using pill capsules, clay and garden ferts.

Bury them as deep as possible and I'd suggest an ammonia test kit as I have found adding too many will briefly cause an ammonia spike.

I agree unfortunately on the plant, it's not looking too good. Gone through a lot of plants finding ones that will work.

First thing I would do is buy some easylife easy carbo and dose recommended levels for about 2-3 weeks. It might even come back just by doing this.

I've never tried root tabs with shrimp. Seachem I think does a good line. I've used API ones as well as generic ones and DIY ones using pill capsules, clay and garden ferts.

Bury them as deep as possible and I'd suggest an ammonia test kit as I have found adding too many will briefly cause an ammonia spike.

I agree unfortunately on the plant, it's not looking too good. Gone through a lot of plants finding ones that will work.

Currently I have been using these DIY pill capsules that your talking about which I bought from eBay but I didn't really notice any good growth! I have been using these tabs with this plant and it's not making any difference feels like those are useless!

Which one would you say are the best tabs you have used out of them all?

I know it feels like I'm wasting money buying all these difference plants and then they end up not growing :/

First thing I would do is buy some easylife easy carbo and dose recommended levels for about 2-3 weeks. It might even come back just by doing this.

Is that what you think is wrong with the plant the lack of co2?
I wouldn't have thought the plant going yellow/brownish was due to co2

Currently I have been using these DIY pill capsules that your talking about which I bought from eBay but I didn't really notice any good growth! I have been using these tabs with this plant and it's not making any difference feels like those are useless!

Which one would you say are the best tabs you have used out of them all?

I know it feels like I'm wasting money buying all these difference plants and then they end up not growing :/

Is that what you think is wrong with the plant the lack of co2?
I wouldn't have thought the plant going yellow/brownish was due to co2

It's the first thing I would rule out.

Can you describe your lighting a bit more? I googled "aqua flux 7000k" and could not find a specific fixture. Is this a fluorescent, CFL, halogen, or LED fixture? How many bulbs? Pics of the light might help.
I'm wondering if insufficient lighting might be the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom