Need help plant not looking so healthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently I have been using these DIY pill capsules that your talking about which I bought from eBay but I didn't really notice any good growth! I have been using these tabs with this plant and it's not making any difference feels like those are useless!

Which one would you say are the best tabs you have used out of them all?

I know it feels like I'm wasting money buying all these difference plants and then they end up not growing :/

Have you tried Java Fern? Low light plant and doesn't need substrate tabs specifically. Another might be as floating plants eg water sprite

http://aquariumtidings.com/java-fern/

I'd buy API tabs again. I try to get ones with a dark clay as these should have a better cation exchange capacity (cec) but any clay is better than gravel. If you can pull one stem plant out and no roots are developing I'd consider it a lost cause.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cation-exchange_capacity

On the good news front you have no algae.

I couldn't find your light? Is it a white light, standard display led light or something more fancy? How deep is the tank and how long are you running lights for?

If the shrimp are ok with the liquid carbon, I'd try dosing that as well as mentioned above. Trying to get a better balance of lights, ferts and carbon source.

Have you tried Java Fern? Low light plant and doesn't need substrate tabs specifically. Another might be as floating plants eg water sprite

http://aquariumtidings.com/java-fern/

I'd buy API tabs again. I try to get ones with a dark clay as these should have a better cation exchange capacity (cec) but any clay is better than gravel. If you can pull one stem plant out and no roots are developing I'd consider it a lost cause.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cation-exchange_capacity

On the good news front you have no algae.

I couldn't find your light? Is it a white light, standard display led light or something more fancy? How deep is the tank and how long are you running lights for?

If the shrimp are ok with the liquid carbon, I'd try dosing that as well as mentioned above. Trying to get a better balance of lights, ferts and carbon source.

Yeah it's a white light I will try to post a picture in a bit
I think the tank is about 30cm deep and I run them for about 8hrs a day
Is that too long?

Do you think if I put a clay peat under the plant it would start to grow some roots again?

Light should be ok I'd have thought. If not getting algae then light period is fine. Picture would be good though to check.

What are you dosing again for any ferts, etc. Do you have any tank chemistry readings.

Light should be ok I'd have thought. If not getting algae then light period is fine. Picture would be good though to check.

What are you dosing again for any ferts, etc. Do you have any tank chemistry readings.

Yeah sure here a picture of the light it sit above the open top bit of the tank
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1546.JPGIMG_1549.JPG

I'm dosing Esha prohyll and I had root tabs under the plant when it was in there

I don't have any readings sorry :/

With no algae on substrate at all I'd say you don't have a strong light. How old is the bulb?

It sounds like the plant was fine from store and has used up its reserves without ever getting going. Which imo is either not enough light or it just hates something in your water chemistry. Our tap water is slightly high in salt compared to other areas for example.

The root tabs and liquid ferts should of been giving it enough to try and grow even if short on one element somewhere. CO2 shortfall could also not be helping. Improving the substrate is always a good idea though.

To test all that I would let one plant float around at surface and see if you get some growth. Closer to the light, maybe better CO2 levels near surface. If the shrimp are ok with liquid carbon (glut) dosing it's also still worth a try. Esha prohyll I'm not sure on - potassium is one that is easily low in a tank. If this product is mainly trace element ferts may not be helping much.

Try clay peat on another plant.

In my tank I had display lights and plants grew very, very slowly with no algae. With strong light and ferts but not enough CO2 I had fast growth towards surface covered in BBA. With moderate light, increased CO2 and usual ferts dosing I get plants shooting or putting runners out at substrate.

With no algae on substrate at all I'd say you don't have a strong light. How old is the bulb?

It sounds like the plant was fine from store and has used up its reserves without ever getting going. Which imo is either not enough light or it just hates something in your water chemistry. Our tap water is slightly high in salt compared to other areas for example.

The root tabs and liquid ferts should of been giving it enough to try and grow even if short on one element somewhere. CO2 shortfall could also not be helping. Improving the substrate is always a good idea though.

To test all that I would let one plant float around at surface and see if you get some growth. Closer to the light, maybe better CO2 levels near surface. If the shrimp are ok with liquid carbon (glut) dosing it's also still worth a try. Esha prohyll I'm not sure on - potassium is one that is easily low in a tank. If this product is mainly trace element ferts may not be helping much.

Try clay peat on another plant.

In my tank I had display lights and plants grew very, very slowly with no algae. With strong light and ferts but not enough CO2 I had fast growth towards surface covered in BBA. With moderate light, increased CO2 and usual ferts dosing I get plants shooting or putting runners out at substrate.

hi there i have tried it floating on the top surface but i didnt have much growth in that tank so i dont know what to do

i am currently trying clay peats on another plant its seems like they are getting along good!

OP in answer to question about telling mineral deficiencies in plants by their appearance my knowledge is limited to gardening however a quick google search reveals they might be quite similar

Deficiency Symptoms - Aqua Rebell

hi there i googled the deficiencies but i need a second opinion as im still not sure what it acutally is
a second opinion would help!

hi there i googled the deficiencies but i need a second opinion as im still not sure what it acutally is
a second opinion would help!

Ahhh sorry. Mm if this was a plant i knew and wasnt aquatic I might be able to help but im new to the aquatic plants scene and am full of theoretical knowledge from researching my own tank but no experience! [emoji28]

Can you test for them?

also i just wanted to ask if i put crinum calamistratum plant into this tank with this light and a clay peat which contains the marco and micro ferts would it grow fine in this tank?

also i just wanted to ask if i put crinum calamistratum plant into this tank with this light and a clay peat which contains the marco and micro ferts would it grow fine in this tank?

Unfortunately haven't grown that plant so can't comment.

Good news on the clay peats, other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas. Some plants I just can't grow and I just keep trying others to find ones that will work.

Unfortunately haven't grown that plant so can't comment.

Good news on the clay peats, other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas. Some plants I just can't grow and I just keep trying others to find ones that will work.

Fair enough I think I have just given up on that plant now! I got annoyed that it didn't grow

I was thinking would hottonia palustris plant grow in this tank?
I will also add clay peats in the substrate the plant I am thinking of buying is going to be an in-vitro plant

I just wanted to ask would this plant grow better in my 200 litre tank which has fishes in it and the light are 2 daylight deluxe tubes it's 30 watts or better in my 20 litre shrimp tank with the light which is posted above which was the Aqua flux 7500 K

Thanks

At 30cm deep those lights should be more than enough. What plant is it that's struggling?

Do you dose ferts? Co2?

At 30cm deep those lights should be more than enough. What plant is it that's struggling?

Do you dose ferts? Co2?

hi there which tank are you talking about? as i have 1 which is a shrimp tank and a 200 litre tank with the 2 x 30watts lights on them

im not sure if its 30 cms deep may be a bit more i will measure and let you know.

well atm i am trying to get the crinum calamistratum going as i have really seen any new leaf growth and was wondering if i could grow the hottonia palustris

as for ferts i have put a couple of clay peats under the plants that are currently there and for c02 is only from what the fishes release but i have tried to reduce surface movement as much as possible

hi there which tank are you talking about? as i have 1 which is a shrimp tank and a 200 litre tank with the 2 x 30watts lights on them

im not sure if its 30 cms deep may be a bit more i will measure and let you know.

well atm i am trying to get the crinum calamistratum going as i have really seen any new leaf growth and was wondering if i could grow the hottonia palustris

as for ferts i have put a couple of clay peats under the plants that are currently there and for c02 is only from what the fishes release but i have tried to reduce surface movement as much as possible

Plants won't grow in either tank without ferts, you will have to dose seachem flourish and flourish excel and trace of you want them to grow. They may last a short time without it but once deficiency sets in the plant will die.

You can also dose dry salts to PPS pro or EI method. I think your biggest issue is your plants are starving to death

Plants won't grow in either tank without ferts, you will have to dose seachem flourish and flourish excel and trace of you want them to grow. They may last a short time without it but once deficiency sets in the plant will die.

You can also dose dry salts to PPS pro or EI method. I think your biggest issue is your plants are starving to death

but the thing is i have amazon swords and jungle val in there at the moment and they do grow and produce new leaves but i have to admit the amazon swords do show deficiency e.g yellowing but the plant hasnt died

i was having a look at dry salts and i saw this:

LUSH Max Aquatic Fertiliser 1 litre Aquarium Plant Food Fish Tank Fertilizer | eBay

do you think this would work and benefit my plants?

but the thing is i have amazon swords and jungle val in there at the moment and they do grow and produce new leaves but i have to admit the amazon swords do show deficiency e.g yellowing but the plant hasnt died

i was having a look at dry salts and i saw this:

LUSH Max Aquatic Fertiliser 1 litre Aquarium Plant Food Fish Tank Fertilizer | eBay

do you think this would work and benefit my plants?

It might work but I'm a preacher for seachem products. If I was dosing dry salts for low light is go with PPS pro and buy the salts seperate. Kno3, kh2po4, mgso4 etc

Also vals are sensitive to glut in excel so you might need to find another carbon dosed that doesn't contain glut

Back
Top Bottom