Need Help With Aggression.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoganY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone I am new to keeping cichlids this is only my second time and I need some advice. Recently I bought two male Electric blue Acaras (not Blue Acaras). I have them both in a 40 gallon breeder all to themselves. One is dominant and stays mostly in the front of the tank and whenever the other comes out he chases him back into the top back corner. Sometimes they swim together peacefully but then the dominant one will chase the other. I know this is to be expected but I would like to reduce the aggression as much as possible. So I have several options and I would like a recommendation because I am new to keeping cichlids. I could get a third one and that should divide the aggression so no one fish is getting singled out. Or I could move them to a 75 gallon. I am not sure which would be more effective because I have read that both methods of more space or more fish can work. So my question is should I move them into the bigger tank so they have their own space or should I get one more to divide the aggression?

Bigger the better.

Adding more hiding places which break the line of sight help as well.

If the aggression deepens and injuries occur then removal may need to be an option.

Caleb

Bigger the better.

Adding more hiding places which break the line of sight help as well.

If the aggression deepens and injuries occur then removal may need to be an option.

Caleb
okay thank you for the reply. I think I will move them to the 75 which has some good hiding spots.

Back
Top Bottom