Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horvy19

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put raw shrimp in my 14 gal nano for an ammonia source. And in 24 hours my ammonia went from 0.25 to 4.0 pm. Should I take shrimp out now? And I was told to do a water change but how much?

I would leave the shimp in for a few days to make sure u have ample ammonia to build up bacteria. And don't change the water until the cycle is done, just top it of with rodi water to keep the salinity correct.

I did a water change while my tank was cycling and it turned out fine. Different strokes ya know...

It's all good though. Do whatever you feel is in your best interest. When my ammonia peaked high I did a 5 gallon water change on my BC29 and replaced the shrimp. My cycle took about 2 weeks if that.

My tank is over 9 months old with zero issues.

We all have different opinions and it's could to share what others have done.

The choice is yours.

The Con

Much of the aerobic bacteria needed to convert ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate does not live in the water column. Rather, it lives upon our rocks, sand and other surface areas. Therefore doing water changes is not going to effect your ability to grow these beneficial bacteria. With that being said, most hobbyists prefer to wait until the cycle has completed before doing water changes thus assuring themselves that enough aerobic bacteria has developed. And yes, 4.0 ammonia should be an adequate amount to start the process. I would personally wait until that number has dropped and all your reading are nitrates before starting your water changes. Just make sure your keeping your salinity consistent by topping off everyday with fresh RO water.

They are filter feeders. Clean particles out of your water. The are very docile and don't harm anything. They are between 20 & 40 dollars each at a lfs.

No. your cycle won't kill them. They will get bigger, they won't get really wide, they just grow their tube longer.

Can running a protien skimmer keep my nitrites low the whole cycle? Looks like my ammonia is dropping and my nitrate is rising, but nitrites haven't rised at all.

Horvy19 said:
Can running a protien skimmer keep my nitrites low the whole cycle? Looks like my ammonia is dropping and my nitrate is rising, but nitrites haven't rised at all.

I don't think you wanna run a skimmer during your cycle. Just let it run it's course. Patience my friend.

Plus you have a 14 gallon, I wouldn't waste the money on a skimmer IMO.

Back
Top Bottom