Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qbmafia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm sorry n process of ungrading my freshwater tank to a saltwater system however s im torn between acrylic tank or glass. Which should I go with?

I've have both and prefer glass. My OCD and even the smallest of scratches and blemishes keeps me awake at night.

For display and general hobbyists glass is the best choice. If I was gonna set up a fishroom for breeding however I would buy all acrylic because pretty wouldn't matter.

I much prefer acrylic. I think they are much more attractive than glass. They are lighter weight and won't crack or leak. They can scratch but scratches can be easily buffed out. I've had one acrylic tank for 30 years and it's in near perfect condition. I have many other acrylic tanks as well and would never buy another glass tank. Acrylic is more expensive but, I think, well worth the difference in cost. Plus they can easily be drilled for bulkheads, drains, etc.

Acrylic or glass I have both. You have to be a lot more careful with acrylic. The acrylic has to sit on a marine plywood base. You have a lot more filtration options with acrylic than with glass. The deciding factor what kind of filter system. What kind of saltwater tank you are planning. If its glass you want plate glass. If its acrylic buy a good one that will fit your needs. There is a lot of junk acrylic tanks out there. In the salt water forum getting started ask the reefers what acrylic tanks they have by brand and why they like it or would they have bought a different one than they have now.

Back
Top Bottom