Need stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aetherbound

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fishless cycle is coming to an end and I wanna get some fish in there soon. I've been looking and ruled out a lot but am stuck on a couple species I think I'd like. I don't want a lot of chasing and aggression in my tank! The less the better. I'm not interested in watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom play out. I wanna relax and watch some fish goof off and generally enjoy the environment I've created for them.

Here's what I'd like:
Sunburst Wag Platy
Bloodfin
Kulhi Loachs

I am also like the look of the Platinum Green Tiger Barb. But I've read some and they seem to be an aggression risk if there's less and 5-6 of them in a tank. My question would be could I add 6 of them with the lot above and expect little aggression?

Also, how about two Gourami in with the above species?

Hello :)

Well I'm no expert but in my experience loaches, platys and gouramis will get on fine, they are peaceful fish.

Barbs are very active fish and tend to go for more slower moving fish such as gouramis so unless your tank is of a good size I wouldn't suggest housing them together. As they may chase and nip fins etc.

I have 2 pearl gouramis and they are very graceful and relaxing to watch.

Bloodfin - cant really say as never had before!

Hope that's helps a bit!

Also I forgot to add, are the Platy's going to have tons of babies? And are they going to be eaten by everything if I just leave them in the general pop and don't use a nursery net or tank and have no top floating vegetation? I really don't differentiate between fry and mature fish, if it's alive I'd like it not to die at my expense. I know it's silly but that just the way I think...

Aetherbound said:
Also I forgot to add, are the Platy's going to have tons of babies? And are they going to be eaten by everything if I just leave them in the general pop and don't use a nursery net or tank and have no top floating vegetation? I really don't differentiate between fry and mature fish, if it's alive I'd like it not to die at my expense. I know it's silly but that just the way I think...

Well, it depends. If you get all males then no, but be warned, some can turn into females. If you get a mix then the chances are they will have babies. It's up to you if you want to save them, but if you don't only a few if any will survive. If you wanted to save them I would get a hatchery then move the pregnant female in there a day before birth. Then remove her when she's finished.

Just found about Seachem Neutral Regulator today so after today I will have a pH of 7 in the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom