Neon Tetras hiding at bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJorz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my son has a tropical tank with 5 Neons Tetras in it (was 6 two days ago). The problem is they are all showing signs of stress by doing a shivering thing on the spot at the bottom of the tank.

They are in a 21L tank which has been set up for several months with a small fluval internal filter and a shop recommended heater that is set to 27°C.

I do regular water changes using only Super Fish Aqua Health to remove chlorine levels. I change about 20% of the tank water on a 2 weekly basis.

Water test results this morning were.

CL2 0.8, pH 7.6, KH 6d, GH 16d, NO2 0, NO3 25

Last edited:
I would try to get the nitrates down to 10-20, and I keep my neons at 24 and they're very active. 27's more of a breeding temp. Sorry I'm not much of a help.

Thanks for reply. I have turned the temperature down to 24°C and done a 50% water change. will post back.

I just thought of another possibility that somehow never occured to me, even though I just fixed this problem in my own tank xD
Bump the number up to 10, they'll feel safer and there as well as be more active. I do find that, for me in my 55G, that they stay in the bottom 2/3rds of the tank as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom