neons in a small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

couplescaddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey everybody, you might remember me from some posts i made a month ago regarding my 6 gallon eclipse system. well its almost cycled and i have had all my original fish die. so i went to teh lfs and bought an albino corry and 4 neon tetras. i would like to eventually plant my tank, but i hear that this is a pain in the ass so i might do that later. anyway, about how many 1 inch neon tetras do you guys think i can house in my aquarium??? i would like to get an entire school of around 15 or so, but im not sure my tank is big enough. please give me some insight on what i can do to plant my tank and how many fish i can have. thanks people,

l8r,

But 1-2 neon will not trive. black neon might do better, but mind you tetra is schooling fish which require >6.

Fish as small as the Neon I would use 1.5 inches per gal. They are what about 1inch long not counting the tail. The Cory is about 2inches not count the tail.
So if the filter works well and you do regular water changes vaccuming the gravel and dont over feed you can have 5 maybe 6 Neons and the one Cory. But before you go out and buy 2 more Neons wait a month or 2 to make sure you have things under control. Till you get the hang of it as a newbie it is best to understock the tank.

Cory Cats should really be kept in a school (IMO), they are more comfortable in groups of three or more, and if alone, they tend to hide more than anything else.

yeah try and get pandas or a nother dwarf cory. they get like 1/2 smaller then a normal cory and mine their not nocternal and their alot more active than my melaneus

Back
Top Bottom