new 10 gal startup and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aliray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good morning. my husband and I set up our 10 gal tank 4 days ago. I have not had fish tanks in probably 30 years my last fish were 8 bettas in different bowls and 1 gal aquariums also many years ago. Three or 4 weeks ago I gave into the urge and got a betta. Came home and put him in a large vace with sand and some cabomba , water sparkles, and some sort of green floating mass of small stems with no leaves that has been growing like crazy. He thinks it is a mattress and gets in it to take a nap. It is under a 4 foot floresent shop light, and the floaters have more than tripled in size. Anyway we took a ride to petco because I wanted to get him a 2 gal golfish bowl. Instead hubby talked me into a 10 gal tank, which we are setting up as a community tank Red my crown tail betta now has a one gal bowl he likes and where he will be staying. I almost gave my self an anxiety attack worrying about fin nipping and two high a flow rate etc. Plus his little spikey fins look like a bunch of red bloodworms to me:D. Now my plan for the tank. I checked the water yesterday with the api test kit. Ph 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0. nitrates 0. We had put a piece of mopani wood, which is putting tanins in the water but from what I read it won't hurt the fish and I figure it will eventually go away with water changes and the carbon in the filter. There is also one narrow leaved java fern, one anubias, some stems of wisteria. Also red will be sharing some of his floating plants. The fish I want to add and I do realize it will probably overstocked, 6 neons, 3 pigmy dwarf corys, 5 harlequin rasborras or 5 ember tetras, and 5 celestial pearl danios. It will depend on what I can find and looks good at the time. Am I better off starting with the 6 neons or the pigmy cats first? Do I put the tetra safe start in the tank after the fish have been acclimated and are in the tank? Do you pour it into the filter or just into the tank? Then in two weeks check the test again and water changes as necessary? then get the next group every 2 or 3 weeks till stocked?. ... Thank you in advance. Alison:)

Yeah that is overstocked lol, it might be okay though. I'd pour the tetra guard straight into the aquarium, its what I do with all my bacterials and stuff.

I'd hate for you to set yourself up for disaster so here's some advice:

Cycle your tank properly. Cycling takes longer than a few days, more like weeks. The bacteria need a food source (ammonia) to convert into nitrite. A different type of bacteria converts nitrite into nitrate. If fish in cycling, ammonia spikes in the first week, nitrite the second, and nitrate the third (typically, may take longer).

Small tanks are less forgiving so a light stocking is preferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would agree with Jason on stocking and cycling.

You could get the safestart and then pure ammonia and that would speed your cycle for sure.

Maybe a betta and a nerite or two plus a colony of shrimp? That would be a good low stock tank as long as you keep an eye on the shrimp numbers.

Back
Top Bottom