New 120 build...gonna be a long ride...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A dsb requires the sand remain undisturbed so that the anaerobic bacteria can grow. Plus its more likely to develop pockets of hydrogen sulfide which can royally kill everything if they get disturbed. So having a dsb in the display means avoiding residents who will disturb the bed so much.

That is why some advocate keeping it out of the display.

I do agree that the dsb has to remain undisturbed, but its relative. Alot is dependant on tank size and what kind of sand sifters. I believe minor sand sifting in a dsb can be good because yes it wipes out te anerobic bacteria, but it does prevent bad build up of other deadly gases

Very interesting...so if anything would a DSB be the safest in the refugium? To avoid the release of possible deadly buildup?

i thought some sand sifting in a dsb was a must. not deep sifting or alot of sifting but some... sorry no input on dt or fuge... there are lots of people that have them in the dt. and if you dont mind seeing the blackening of the sand on the glass then put it in the dt just be mindful of live stock that you want in it and have. and you can greatly increase the safety of your dsb. and like wise if you dont want to see it, there are lots of people that keep it in the sump. but you will still need some pods in there, also a good place to grow your pods for your dt.. so ive heard anyway....

or you can say no dsb altogether and just do a berlin style sump that works well. so many different ways to filter your tank,

all that said i still have no idea what im talking about.

I would still lean towards a dsb, it requires no maintence or upkeep, and honestly for any dsv to work,it relies on surface area.. Your sand bed in the tank has a TON of surface area

I have the dsb and no sifters anymore unless you count the mess of sand my pistol shrimp kicks up from time to time. LOL

The only thing I don't like is you can see the yuck in the layers of sand. I scrape with a razor carefully at he sandbed edge to get the green algae line but underneath that I have diffetent shades of colors. make me think my tank is dirty all the time. BUT I guess it's working as my nitrates are low and I've switched to a water change every other week for now on this tank. But who knows. maybe the refugiun is the reason as well. I don't suppose theres any way to figure out if either is doing their job is there?

Thanks for all the info, i am sorry that there are no pictures of anything. I have to get a truck so I can pick up this tank but it is purchased, this storm put a real halt on picking it up.

Also taking everyone advice and researching as much as I can before I buy anything to make sure I know what I am doing.

Hey, where does everyone buy there fish when they get them online?

If you do order online, do you usually take the day off from work to make sure you are home for the delivery?

Also, do Skunk Cleaner shrimp and Blood Fire shrimp get along? I love these guys.

Hey, where does everyone buy there fish when they get them online?

If you do order online, do you usually take the day off from work to make sure you are home for the delivery?

Also, do Skunk Cleaner shrimp and Blood Fire shrimp get along? I love these guys.

i too would like to know how everyone orders fish online and if they schedule time off to receive it.

I happen to be lucky (or unlucky ) in that I'm home most days so I am always available and if not I order it around my schedule. Most places won't honor their guarantees if someone is not there to sign for it. some have it where you can pick it up at the ups/fedex distribution centers first thing in the am.

I always check live aquaria for information concerning a specific fish, just didn't know if anyone knew of any other sites worth checking out that they have ordered from before.

I regret to inform everyone that this build is going to be placed on serious hold...my GF just blew the timing belt on her jetta which bent the valves, and blew the head gasket...looking at a 2400 dollar job...so I have to help her out....uggggh....such great skimmers, lights, powerheads, rock, sand, and livestock all under the hood of a car now....i'm so crying on the inside right now....i will be back as soon as i can to continue this.....

BfishLpond78 said:
I regret to inform everyone that this build is going to be placed on serious hold...my GF just blew the timing belt on her jetta which bent the valves, and blew the head gasket...looking at a 2400 dollar job...so I have to help her out....uggggh....such great skimmers, lights, powerheads, rock, sand, and livestock all under the hood of a car now....i'm so crying on the inside right now....i will be back as soon as i can to continue this.....

I feel your pain. I know I will still be subscribed to this thread. 2400 man. I say this only because I get paid to do that kind of work. It definitely saves to do it yourself. Just an offer. And maybe an worthless offer but if you where close to zip 65802 i would help fix it. U buy the parts my labor is free.

I know i saves alot, i can do alot with a car, but when it comes to the internals of the engine it's like speak spanish I just don't get it. I really appreciate that offer, and man I would be there with the parts a few 30 packs to learn about fish and cars but i'm all the way in CT. My cousin owns a garage and is giving me the quote so i know i'm not getting screwed cause I know alot goes into it.

It's awesome to know there are still a few good people left out there....but mark my words...this build will happen...Hopefully I won't have to help out too much, but she can't be without a car. So we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom