New 125 gal...what would you stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meviva

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm so excited...I just ordered a 125 gal. half cylinder acrylic aquarium. I won't get it for a few weeks but my mind can't stop thinking about what to put in it. It will be freshwater. I have a stock list I am working on but I would like some suggestions/ideas from others. I definitely want some angels in it. Are there any peaceful cichlids that would be ok in a community tank?

I have a Fluval FX5 that I will be using. So what would you put in this tank?

Thanks,
Andrea

Only problem with 125 half round is they are more tall then wide so the footprint wouldn't be ideal for a lot of cichlids but you could get away with some more mild cichlids you could go with tropical community fish species and also add some German blue rams (dwarf cichlids) which are beautiful and peaceful is have to know what area or type of fish your considering to give you a better idea and post a pic of the tank

The tank will be 48w x 24d x 30h. I do want to utilize all areas of the tank. I did see some blue rams yesterday at the lfs and I really like them. Do they choose a cave/rock live in it? I would like something that does.

I have 3 Peppered Cories in a 10 gal that I will be putting the 125. Some of the fish I am thinking of are: Angelfish, Badis Badis, Clown Loach, Elephantnose (this one is questionable), Gold Nugget Pleco, Pictus Cat, Upside Down Cat, Redtail Black Shark, Black Ruby Barb, Kuhli Loach and Blue Rams. These are just some of the fish I like, and I know I won't be able to get all of them. I think I need some top swimmers.

I would love suggestions. I will post pics when I get the tank.

You could do 6 angelfish, no elephant nose IMO, and only two pairs of rams. You could do a Bolivian Ram pair and a German Ram pair BUT you don't want to add the GBR's until the tank is at least 6 months old. They don't do well in new tank setups and be sure to monitor nitrates as rams are very sensitive to them. Also with angels you want to be careful about tank mates that can be nippy. Tetras such as Cardinal, Rummynose, Lemon, and Diamond usually make good tank mates for angels. Upside down cats will do fine also. You could also add 3 yo-yo loaches for more bottom movement but won't do more since it has a smaller footprint. Marble Hatchetfish are good top schoolers as are Threadfin Rainbowfish. Harlequin Rasboras (at least the ones I have kept) tend to stay in the upper tank level also. You could also do a Pearl, Dwarf, or Honey Gourami for a pop of color.

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the yo-yo loaches. I just looked up Threadfin Rainbowfish.....I've never heard of them before, they are unusual and pretty. It's fun thinking of all the possibilities.

My yo-yo's are a hoot most of the time. I really like them alot. I also really like my Threadfins. They are very active and if you get an equal number of males and females the males will always be displaying those georgeous fins. Also when you first get them and when they are young they don't have much color especially the females. But once they settle in and start maturing they color up nicely even the females turn a iridescent yellow green. They add alot of movement to a tank.

Back
Top Bottom