new 20 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently in the planning stages of setting up a 20 gallon long reef aquarium. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice since this is my first saltwater tank. My current list for stocking is:
2 false perc clowns
1 firefish
1 midas blenny
1 yellow watchman goby w/ a pistol shrimp

Is this over stocked? If so what would b better? Will the firefish and watchman fight? Any help would b greatly appreciated. Thank you

Also dumb question but are acting lights used as night lights and moonlight?

Seems over stocked to me. I'd just go with a clown pair and just one of the other fish you listed. Be warned: firefish like to kamakazi the carpet. Oh, and that goby isn't probably going to work in a 20g...-grr I need to stop pressing save before I finish my thought- isn't going to work with that blenny.

Sounds like a good list, make sure to have a lid with no hole, or very small ones.

Firefish will honestly attempt at one time or another, never heard of one that didn't carpet surf in an open top tank

You can run T5s without one, most come with a splash guard for the bulbs. A netting for a top would be better so you could have gas exchange and not have a pH crash while still keeping the fish in the tank :)

Possibly one of those reptile tank tops, or you could use something like bridal veil and build a wooden frame to have it sit on the inside of the rim flush so it's not visible unless looking at it from above

Alright thanks. Could u tell me the importance of actinic lighting and full spectrum lighting and how and when to use each

Actinics from what I know are more photosynthetically important to most corals, though it seems that corals usually come out most when the whites are used as well.

Most people will have their actinics come on an hour before, and an hour after, the whites are one. Some people use whites for 12hrs, others for 8 like myself. I use 8 because when I had them on for 12 I had nuisance algae growing too much, so find a good balance

So actinic lighting should not be left on all night? I was under the impression it was like moon lighting

You can, I have been because I don't have a timer and because I like the glow in my room. I've seen no ill effects so far, except maybe fish don't know when to sleep :lol:

Not that I've seen, but I'm usually sleeping :)

Seriously though, besides possibly growin nuisance algae more often I don't think you'll have a problem besides having to replace them sooner

Alright sounds good. Thanks. One more question. Do I need a protein skimmer to start out with on this small of a tank

Back
Top Bottom