New 29 Gallon Help & Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfhrtn

Aquarium Advice Freak

What's up everyone just took the plunge on a 29 gallon at Petco during their $1 per gallon sale. I've had a 10 gallon established for just over a year and a half. Been a very healthy tank and still has the original stock. My questions start now building this new aquarium from just the empty shell of the tank. Going to be needing a lid (not opposed to diy), circulation pump, filter (would like to run a nice 50gal filter), 150w heater (maybe bigger if y'all recommend), air pump, led light (for plants), planting substrate, beginner plants, and chems (mainly for the plants).

What I have looked at so far:

Light: 30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 (would like to find something more budget friendly even if I need to use a timer)

Lid: 30" Aqueon Versa Top

Circulation Pump: Hydor Koralia 240gph

Heater: Hydor 150w

Air Pump: Eco Plus Supreme 2 71gph

Plant Fert: Sea Chem Florish

Substrate: Caribsea Eco-Complete

Filter: Fluval C 3 190L, Aqua Clear 50 Power Filter, Marineland Penguin 200 (heard mixed reviews about the bio wheel)

Plants: Anubias, Java Moss, Jungle Val, & Crypts. Heard once you introduce Java Moss you can't rid of it? Not familiar with Crpyts at all any tips?

Any help would greatly be appreciated on this new adventure. Just want to buy quality over the course of a few paychecks rather than buying cheap multiple times. I felt asking some of the experts here in the community would be a good start and hopefully some day soon I can return the favor of helping a new member in need.

*Edit*

I am open to all suggestions on different equipment than I have looked at and all tips on bettering what I know so far about aquariums

-JamesIMG_20170429_200049140_HDR.jpg

I have a lot of the same you are looking at with a few differences:

Light: 30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7

Lid: 30" Aqueon Delux Led -I just lay the Finnex on top.

Circulation Pump: Hydor Koralia 240gph

Heater: Hydor 150w

Air Pump: Don't use one.

Plant Fert: Sea Chem Flourish, Osmocoat root tabs, potassium.

Substrate: Sand

Filter: Sunsun 703b

Plants: Anubias, Java Fern, Jungle Val, crypts, Java Fern, and bucephalandra.

Heard once you introduce Java Moss you can't rid of it? - I never had a problem with it but I took it out as I didn't like the look.

Not familiar with Crpyts at all any tips? I have some and just don't crowd them. When they get bigger divide the root ball into separate plants.

IMG_9037.JPG

@TMaier thanks for quick reply and great looking tank.

Have you had any issues with the equipment. How do you like sunsun filter?

Do you use Co2 in your tank? Do I need to consider Co2 in a low tech budget tank?

Potassium and root tabs a good idea for planted tanks?

Would you prefer sand to something like the Eco-Complete? I do really like the looks of sand just not familiar with cleaning sand versus gravel but that is where my learning curve comes in as a novice.

Also would you just break down and buy the Finnex Planted+ instead of a cheaper option?

*Edit*

Don't really have any way to run an external canister filter which is why I was looking at HOB filters mainly.

Have you had any issues with the equipment. How do you like sunsun filter?

I like it! No issues so far.

Do you use Co2 in your tank? Do I need to consider Co2 in a low tech budget tank?

I do not use Co2 but I do add Excel if I see an increase in algae popping up.

Potassium and root tabs a good idea for planted tanks?

Root tabs are needed because the sand does not provide nutrients. Potassium was recommended to me when I had one fussy plant. I am just continuing to use on a minimal dose to keep others from yellowing.

Would you prefer sand to something like the Eco-Complete? I do really like the looks of sand just not familiar with cleaning sand versus gravel but that is where my learning curve comes in as a novice.

I knew sand but not eco,lol. Do not use playsand. You want something inert like pool filter sand or black diamond blast sand. $10 for 50lbs is cheap. I think eco will set you back a bit.

Also would you just break down and buy the Finnex Planted+ instead of a cheaper option?

I had a cheaper option when I was using the Aqueon LED's. They were ok but the 29 is tall. I moved them to my 20Long that is shorted and the plants are goi g great.

Don't really have any way to run an external canister filter which is why I was looking at HOB filters mainly.

My external canister is sitting in an inconspicuous black trash can to the right of my tank. My HOB's were constantly stopping on me. I was having to rinse them way to often. That was why I shifted to a canister. IMG_9056.jpg

I might see if I can find a place to stick a canister filter between now and when I start the tanks cycle. Was your hob filter getting stopped up with plant material?

It would be nice if I can get away with out running Co2 and just use Excel. Co2 looks like it would run just as much as the filter or the light.

Just looked up a vid on diy root tabs and they are super simple. One video said to use API and Flourish tabs depending on which nutrients the plants need more of. I think I could still find some osmacote around with all the nursery's in my area. I'll keep some potassium on hand too though when I start orders for equipment and chems.

If you had both pool filter sand and black diamond blast sand at your disposal would you choose one over the other? I have a pool supply about a mile​ from me and I think tractor supply has black diamond.

Sounds like if I bought the Finnex Planted+ light it would be a once and done versus some cheap lighting.

I would never know you had that canister to the right of your tank if you wouldn't have said so. Great job on that set up.

Right now it looks like I will be setting up the 29 in the place my 10 is. It's on a dresser in the bedroom

Was your hob filter getting stopped up with plant material?

Tmaier-Not really. I kept rinsing the media, intake and impeller. And watching the water level. 2 diff brands and I kept having the same problem. They would just stop.

Just looked up a vid on diy root tabs and they are super simple. One video said to use API and Flourish tabs depending on which nutrients the plants need more of. I think I could still find some osmacote around with all the nursery's in my area. I'll keep some potassium on hand too though when I start orders for equipment and chems.

Tmaier-You can get a small amount of Osmocoat + and the gel capsules on Amazon.

If you had both pool filter sand and black diamond blast sand at your disposal would you choose one over the other? I have a pool supply about a mile​ from me and I think tractor supply has black diamond.

Tmaier-it depends on your stock and decor. I used PFS when I was raising mystery snails and plants. But when I started raising RCS the black is a better choice for the shrimp.

I would never know you had that canister to the right of your tank if you wouldn't have said so. Great job on that set up.

Tmaier - thanks. I hate wires and tubes.

Right now it looks like I will be setting up the 29 in the place my 10 is. It's on a dresser in the bedroom.

Tmaier - tanks and water are heavy. Imagine a 300lb person dancing on top of that dresser. Will it hold them?

You have me thinking on a canister filter now. On my 10gal I'm running a Tetra PF 20. It has done really well and I was thinking about running a 50 on the new 29 for circulation and the extra power. Was hoping to cycle the water 3-5 times per hour.

Amazon prime is a wonderous thing haha. Might get them on Amazon. Would you prefer store bought tabs over diy tabs?

Besides the plants hoping to have some drift wood and got to figure out the rock or 2 small cave situation.

For fish I am thinking maybe an angel fish and some small "nano" schooling fish. Got to transfer my otto from my 10 gallon to the new 29 when it's time. Still up in the air on stock.

As for the dresser it is rather beefy. It's 6' 11" long x 3' 11" deep. It has 3 supports thought out the length of it. It held me and my girl while we were installing some light fixtures in the ceiling. However I will build a proper stand one day with storage underneath where I can have everything organized and localized

The cost of the API root tabs is crazy compared to what you can do with the osmocoat.

I don't know if 29 is big enough for an angle? Perhaps a gourami instead?

There is one HOB brand on here everyone raves about that I did not try, Aquaclear. Maybe that are more dependable than the lfs brands.

I will put some gel caps and osmacote on my shopping list for sure.

Didn't know if there was a small angel fish but if not I will certainly not get a fish that can be 6-8". Is a shrimp tank very hard to keep up. Totally new to shrimp. Was thinking a shrimp and nano schooling fish tank or a cichlid tank. Still doing a lot of reading and research

I was looking at the aquaclear 50 filter. Not sure I could go much bigger than a 50 but if it was better for the tank I would.

The first time I tried shrimp they were eaten. But then in October I added 10 to my snail nursery and they have blossomed. The key I had read with shrimp is the have a tank with a bit of age 3-6 months with a good build up of biofilm and must have plants. Perhaps start with the nano fish after cycling and then add a few shrimp a few months later.

Your water is also key to shrimp. I must be lucky that mine is ok for them. I have never done the research to understand the needs. I had someone local who wasn't using special water additives and her shrimp worked for me as well.

Mine have been on auto pilot for a while. I had planaria pop up but treated for them and so far so good.

Last edited:
Once I get the tank planted and cycling I wanted to let it run for around 4-6 weeks before adding fish. Think I should go a bit longer?

Thanks for the info on the shrimp. I don't have any clubs or societies around my area. Not even a lfs besides PetSmart. Wish I could find a bumblebee cat or a dwarf puffer around my area. I live in Rocky Mount, NC.

Not sure what I'm going to do with my 10 gallon once I get the 29 set up. Could do a nano tank or snail tank. Maybe a hospital tank or future nursery.

Thought about trying to see if I could find local driftwood on the river while kayaking but not sure if I could use it even after boiling. Maybe better off ordering it?

Thank you again for all the thoughts and help @TMaier

My 10g QT became a snail nursery. Then it became a snail/shrimp nursery. Then it became a 20Long snail/shrimp/plant nursery. Now I have 6 tanks lol.

Lol i hear that. That's what is going to end up happening to me. I'm around some enablers here in the community ?

Was just looking at some beamswork lights and watching some vids on them. Kind of mixed reviews.

Here is a shot of my 10g I took last night. Need to get one with all the lights on. It has 2 glofish (originally 3), 1 neon Tetra (originally 4), and 1 Otto. Over the past year and a half a few have passed away but the ones that are left are strong. I just think the 1 neon is kinda lonely. I hate to add to it seeing I'm going to upgrading soon. I think I'm going to have to put these in my 29 since there is no lfs to adopt them. The Otto will be going in the 29 for sure IMG_20170430_023901472.jpg

Lots of good info here, I also picked up a 29 at the dollar-per-gallon sale. Just wanted to throw in that I'm looking at a Beamswork light: Beamswork DA FSPEC LED 0.50W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFF07I8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qwJbzb8ANG859
I have a similar one on my 24 inch tall tank without CO2 or excel so I think this will work well on an 18 inch tall tank with excel, but if I have problems with too much light I'll just use electrical tape to block off some light. The Finnex planted plus is really tempting, but I'm still debating saving the $40. It's a hard choice!

That's the one I was taking a look at today. Been watching some reviews on it. A lot of mixed feelings on the tube on it. Which one are you running on your 24" tall tank?

The Finnex has the red spectrum in also which is why I'm considering. If I went Finnex I'm looking at $316 for everything but fish and plants. If I went beamswork I would be at $266 for everything but fish and plants. Just don't know how it would do without the red spectrum. I'm still really new to growing plants hydroponic​ly and not 100% sure on spectrums.

Is your 24" tall tank planted?

Would a 30" stingray by Finnex be enough to grow Anubias, Jungle Val, and Crypts in the 29 gallon?

This is the one I have on my 24" tank, planted with vals, water wisteria, suswassertang, Java fern, anubias: Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series LED https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4FS6ZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_k2Kbzb782J8DG I have it on 5 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the afternoon with a 4 hour break in the middle.
Looks like they're out of the 30" right now though.
Google says a Finnex stingray will give you 20 par at 18" which is low but should be fine for vals and anubias. I'm unsure on the crypts.

It's your decision on the finnex 24/7 or not, but I bought cheaper aqueon opti+ (has a remote & timer). Then a year later decided I wanted more light, and ended up buying the 24/7 anyway. Wouldn't have anything else in a tall tank now. In shorter tanks the 24/7 can be too strong in 24/7 mode.

In my 75gallon tank I'm 18" from substrate to light, never had any algae.

Apologies for the long reply guys. Been slammed at work after the flooding we had here in East NC with the 8 1/2" rain we had in 24hrs.

The beamswork look light @UntimelyLord payed a link to would save on cost and enable me to spend that money on plants or tank stock. I'll have to keep my eye on the 30" Verizon coming back in stock.

My 29 is 19" on the spec sheet. Still kinda torn between the Beamswork DA 6500k and the Planted+ 24/7. Only thing I'm stick on in this build.

Can you put a timer on the Beamswork light? One like you would use on your house for a light? Or is there a better time that would be better suited?

Back
Top Bottom