New 29 Gallon Help & Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got some 5% tint that I'm going to put on wish I would have thought to paint it before I set everything up. The 5% will help that out a little bit though.

Be sure to do your water tests before adding Thrive. It adds a lot of nitrates. I use it and I love its effects, but it does raise the nitrates!

You can add a background like foamboard or contact paper.

I did the water tests before the wc and dose of thrive just to get a good idea of everything. Do you use thrive in a fully stocked tank? If so what is your wc schedule?

Would the contact paper or foam board be thin to still have a HOB filter?

I use AquaClear filters, and they have little tabs that allow you to adjust the level-ness. I have foamboard on two of the tanks without any issues.

Those two tanks are both stocked and planted. I do water changes on Fridays and dose immediately following the water change. I also dose on Tuesdays. I had been doing water tests on Wednesdays, but the nitrates would read 40! So I'm trying to test now on Tuesdays before dosing. I forget sometimes.

How do you secure the foam board to the back? I also have AC filters I really like the little leveling tabs​. Foam board would be so much easier than window tint. Do you get yours at Lowe's?

If​ do a 50% wc every Wednesday and dose immediately after also. I try to test right before the water change and test the pH right before I dose ferts. I allow 24hrs after dosing to test again.

Also you got any pics of the tank with foam board backgrounds? @nirbhao

I got my foamboard at JoAnne's Fabric. I use clear Command strips to hold it on.

I'll get a picture from the side soon. In the meantime

20170525_222221-01.jpg
20170513_185110-01.jpg

One is black and the other is dark blue. Both have been painted or painted papers have been glued on.

Tanks look really nice. Is that joann's fabrics the one just outside of Rocky Mount, NC?

Came in tonight from work and did an inspection of everything. Does this look algae? I have both suspects circled in red. Not very good with ID'ing algae but one looks kinda like hair algae in the beginningIMG_20170602_232735.jpgIMG_20170602_232817.jpg

It's a chain. Probably any craft or art supply store would have it.

Remind me of your light cycle?
I am running the Beamswork timer and have it on from 8am to 4pm. Don't think I can run two separate cycles

I will adjust it down this evening when I get off and back to the house. I wish the Beamswork timer would let me run two 3hr cycles. I appreciate the tip on 6hrs though [emoji106]

*Edit*
The tank also doesn't have any ambient light coming in on it. The temp has been holding steady at 81.9 think I should try to get it down to around 78?

I got the lights adjusted for 6hrs a day. 8am to 2pm is what I have it set for now.

One thing I have noticed since Wednesday is the pH in my tap water has been drastically been decreasing. Last Saturday I tested it straight out of the tap and it read 7.2 which I thought was pretty normal. I tested it again Wednesday when I did a water change on the 29 and it read 6.8 out of the tap & 6.6 in the tank. This evening I tested the tap out of curiosity and it read what looked to be a little less than 6.6 tested the water in my 10g and it wasn't quite 6.2 but sure was close. I'm starting to get kind of worried about this but am I over thinking this? I did a 50% water change in the 10g and a 20% water change in the 29g. pH has come up to 6.4 in the 10g and is 6.6 in the 29g. Do I need something like crushed coral or anything to raise the pH up to near 7? Especially with the 29g in the middle of a fishless cycle and the 10g holding 7 neons, 1 Otto, and 1 tetra glofish? Plan on moving the neons to the 29g once it cycles

With the pH around 6.2 in my 10 gallon and the pH sitting around 6.6 in the 29 gallon how much crushed coral should I run in the tanks to get the pH back up to around 7?

I believe @TMaier said she used 1/2cup aragonite in her 29 gal tank.
Is that what you're using?

I'm going to head out to see if I can find some aragonite or something similar once I get off work at 5:30. I got to get the pH back right. Low or high pH can cause a cycled to have a mini cycle and a cycling tank to stall right?

PetSmart was sold out of crushed coral and aragonite. They said to check back Friday and that they only get 2 bags of each in per shipment once the others are sold out. Only 14.99 for a 15lb bag of crushed coral. I used the next best thing I could think of. I crushed up some sea shells and used them in the same bag that I have some media from my 10 gallon in. I hope this will work near the same as coral or aragonite

A quick update on the pH. It is up to 6.8 so far after 24hrs with the shells and Marineland pH regulator. Just did my 50% wc and will test again tomorrow night to see where everything is

Back
Top Bottom