New 29 Gallon Help & Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never thought about the fish food being a source of ammonia once it decays. I've been combing through reading up on the starter threads since I'm pretty new to planted tanks. Trying to do some studying before I dive in.

I will follow the advice on the white lights. No sense in running "beauty lights" at this stage haha. Looking like I will be able to pick up the pool filter sand Thursday. Do you think 50lbs will be enough for a 29 gallon? Or should I get 2 bags (100lbs)? Most of all my equipment will be here by Friday/Saturday.

50 lbs is more than enough. At least it was for me. I don't like a really deep sand bed. Mine is about an inch in the front and 2 in the back. And I only used half of it.

Quick update on everything. I got all the equipment in and will post a pic here shortly. Had a lot of aqua mail coming to the house haha.

I picked up the sand. Got 2 bags one for use on the 29 and the 10 then one for any back up plans or new tanks in the future :) Thank you for the tips on the sand. Really looking forward to seeing everything come together

I am going to be taking the dive and building a stand this afternoon. Going to be an interesting adventure but a fun one.

Once I get the stand built I am going to see if I can't place the substrate in and the water then like it run with no plants or fish. Slowly I'll add my plants as I find them. What are your thoughts on trying to let it cycle with no plants or fish?

Got a good bit done yesterday evening on the stand for the 29. I'll post a few build pics below. Just got to get it painted black now

ce5bfbb3311a0eccb152c625802d8eb8.jpg
IMG_20170514_171457860_HDR.jpgIMG_20170514_205950116.jpgIMG_20170514_210004662.jpgIMG_20170514_210106819.jpgIMG_20170514_210321251.jpg

Got another big chunk done yesterday. Got the stand painted & cured, sand washed out very well, then got the tank mounted & cycling. Really looking forward to seeing what becomes of this new tank. Anyone got info about cycling with no plants or fish?IMG_20170516_035721.jpgIMG_20170515_165547426.jpgIMG_20170516_025043707_HDR.jpgIMG_20170516_035615.jpgIMG_20170516_032223823.jpg

Thank y'all guys so much for the info. Got some ammonia chloride and Seachem Stability on the way for the fishless cycling adventure. I am hoping for the best cause I don't want to make fish go through the cycling process as I know I wouldn't want to if I was in their place.

@sharmon it's a slow process but patience is key to have happy fish in the long run

@UntimelyLord that link answered so many questions I had

Got the Ammonium Chloride and Stability in this morning. Ready to start cycling this evening. Seachem claims it will be cycled in 8 days. Does this sound right? Seems like a short amount of time to meIMG_20170519_110146901_HDR.jpg

Some people seem to have success with "bacteria in a bottle" but I wouldn't count on it and for sure not in just 8 days. I'd say around 5 weeks for cycling, but if you have another tank you can borrow some filter media from or can get some seeded media from elsewhere you may be cycled in 8 days.

This evening I am going to pull some media out of my established filter and see if that will help get the new one going. I was planning on about 3 weeks to a month to cycle and saw that 8 day claim. Was shocked that anyone could get a tank cycled in a week. I'm still counting on that month mark even with some used media. Plus it will give some anubias nana and s repens some time to get set up. I'll get some pics of those when I get back to the house tonight

Got the ammonia up to between 4-5ppm and added the bacteria in. Used Seachem Stability and Marineland Aquarium Bacteria for the start up bacteria. Added a little bit of media from my established filter also. I know the bacteria in the tank must think it's at the buffet right now haha. Going to see how it reads tomorrow to see what kind of activity is going on

Updated pic of what's going on so far. Got such a long way to go on the scaping. Looking very plane right nowIMG_20170519_212857072_HDR.jpg

Got several pieces of local rock cleaned and prepped for use. Won't use it all but got some options. Thought about using a piece of slate or 2 but it wouldn't look like a natural river scape with slate in the mix. Just got to locate the right piece of driftwood for the tank now.
c87a84796485871b0677a94c2fb1c661.jpg

Got a little bit of the hard scape done last night. Just got to find that right piece of driftwood to prep and add to the tank. Any thoughts of improvements on the hard scape?

I do plan on getting some Java Fern, Amazon sword, and maybe some Crypts in the future. Just got to figure out a good fert to add to the water column once it gets planted a little more heavily. Right now I'm using some diy root tabs with Osmacote Plus inside a size 00 gel capsule. Only have 6 scattered throughout the tank.

I think I'm going to have to do something about a background on this tank. Wish I would have just painted it black when I first got it. Any tips on getting a background of some sort on the tank?

IMG_20170521_235510524_HDR.jpgIMG_20170522_000136535.jpg

Are the two front and center Anubias? They should not be buried if that is what they are.

O wow thank you @TMaier They are Anubias and should they be stuck between the rocks? You may have saved the life of these :) If they won't be buried in the substrate should I dose a fert for the water column or would the osmacote root tabs be all that is needed?

I usually tie them to rocks or wood. They pick up nutrients from the water. If you want to keep them on the bottom the roots can be buried just not the rhizome.

I am going to see if I can't them tired to the rocks this evening with some 4lb fishing line. Is Flourish about the best liquid fert for the water column? I don't mind ordering online so I am open to suggestions. The only store I have locally is PetSmart unfortunately

Back
Top Bottom