new 5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a fluval chi in a 5.5 gallon size. I set it up, added water and everything, and put the bio filter media from my established ten gallon community. I also put some food into it, just to add some ammonia so there is a need for that bacteria. I left on vacation the next day. As soon as I get back I will check the parameters to see if anything has increased or spiked. Did I seed the tank right? Also did I do the right thing by adding some food?

yes,you seeded right and feeded left(hahaha you really did feed right),good luck on your cycle

Ok, good. Thanks for the help. Once I get home I will start posting parameters and stuff. I am using this as a quarantine tank. I know it is pretty small for a qt but my community tank is only a ten gallon. And I will never have a fish larger than about 4 and a half inches because that would be too big.

maxwellag said:
Ok, good. Thanks for the help. Once I get home I will start posting parameters and stuff. I am using this as a quarantine tank. I know it is pretty small for a qt but my community tank is only a ten gallon. And I will never have a fish larger than about 4 and a half inches because that would be too big.

What fish are you looking at? :) stocking is the best part!

Im using this new one as quarantine tank, so I need only a few smaller fish to keep it cycled. Any suggestions? Im thinking a few neon and lowlight tetras.

I would skip the schooling fish and go with a single betta, or maybe some FW Shrimp. I have kept neons in 5 gal tanks before, but most would recommend against it. It is a question of lateral swimming room rather than bioload, and schooling fish like neons and glowlights are pretty active.

maxwellag said:
Im using this new one as quarantine tank, so I need only a few smaller fish to keep it cycled. Any suggestions? Im thinking a few neon and lowlight tetras.

Why not just run the 5 gallon filter on the main tank? Then you get extra filtration in the main tank, and you can setup the QT when needed. If not, a betta maybe?

Homedog98 said:
Why not just run the 5 gallon filter on the main tank? Then you get extra filtration in the main tank, and you can setup the QT when needed. If not, a betta maybe?

I can't because the fluval chi has a special filter and thing that holds it in the middle. So I can't put it on that, and my hood of my tank has a small opening for only one filter anyway.

fort384 said:
I would skip the schooling fish and go with a single betta, or maybe some FW Shrimp. I have kept neons in 5 gal tanks before, but most would recommend against it. It is a question of lateral swimming room rather than bioload, and schooling fish like neons and glowlights are pretty active.

I can put a betta in it cuz it is aggressive and will hurt any fish that needs quarantine. I would have now place to put the betta if I newed the tank as quarantine anyway. I don't want ghost shrimp. I want some type of fish. How about guppies or something smaller???

5 gal isn't really the best size to use for a quarantine.

How about some microrasboras, or endlers? There are many, many other FW shrimp besides ghost shrimp.

fort384 said:
5 gal isn't really the best size to use for a quarantine.

How about some microrasboras, or endlers? There are many, many other FW shrimp besides ghost shrimp.

Like I said before, my community tank is only ten gallon. I will never have a fish that needs more than five gallons and quarantine is temporary. So it is all I need. I don't like shrimp that much... I know there are many other fish.

maxwellag said:
Like I said before, my community tank is only ten gallon. I will never have a fish that needs more than five gallons and quarantine is temporary. So it is all I need. I don't like shrimp that much... I know there are many other fish.

True, but not all of these fish can live in a 5 gallon. :) I'd really try a betta. A female would be less aggressive, and you could always temporarily move it to the 10 while the QT's in use.

maxwellag said:

Cpd's work, and some less common choices are least killies, pygmy killies, or pygmy sunfish.

jetajockey said:
Cpd's work, and some less common choices are least killies, pygmy killies, or pygmy sunfish.

What is a cpd? I can't get killies from my lfs...

Homedog98 said:
True, but not all of these fish can live in a 5 gallon. :) I'd really try a betta. A female would be less aggressive, and you could always temporarily move it to the 10 while the QT's in use.

All the fish I have can fit in a five gallon. Just not all at once. Haha. I don't want a betta. I already said that. Even if a female would be less aggressive, it is still aggressive and I am not gonna move one into my community if it is aggressive. I already have two betas anyways. They have their own separate tanks. So im just not interested in another one. But thanks for the opinion!?

So I put some bamboo at the top (aquaponics... it came with a little tray that fills with water from the fountain and waters the plant). I also put a marimo moss ball into the tank. I want almost 4 smaller sized fish or larger, as long as they can be cramped for a few days sometimes. There would be a huge list of fish that I am thinking about so I will just make a list of ones that I don't really have any interest in.
Here's the list of fish I don't want (unless you can talk me into getting it with a good reason):
-betas (definitely not)
-micro rasboras
-shrimp
-anything that doesn't have much color
-most danios accept glofish

jetajockey said:
celestial pearl danio

I had honestly never heard of it until you mentioned it. I looked it up and it is an option. But I have never seen it at my nearest lfs. There is a better one 30 minutes away that I might go to to look...

maxwellag said:
I can put a betta in it cuz it is aggressive and will hurt any fish that needs quarantine. I would have now place to put the betta if I newed the tank as quarantine anyway. I don't want ghost shrimp. I want some type of fish. How about guppies or something smaller???

Not true I have a Betta with all my fish I have one in a livebearer tank , one in a community with cardinals glowlights serpea rummynose and others, one with goldfish it was a heated tank my goldfish do excellent in warmer water, and even one with cichlids when they were small and they are all the least aggressive fish in my tanks

Just don't stereotype a fish from rumors look at them in the store if they are in those stupid cups side by side with other bettas and not flaring I would say her is docile and won't do any harm

It's totally your choice I am not pushing a Betta I am just informing you of the possibilities

Back
Top Bottom