New 55 gal cichlid tank stock help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm getting towards the end of my fish-less cycle, and now I'm doing some research to see what kid of cichlids I want to keep in it, I'm looking for colorful display , The ones that I would like to get are yellow labs , afra cobue, and peacocks . Would any of these be compatible with each other in the tank ? Or what other options are there

I'm getting towards the end of my fish-less cycle, and now I'm doing some research to see what kid of cichlids I want to keep in it, I'm looking for colorful display , The ones that I would like to get are yellow labs , afra cobue, and peacocks . Would any of these be compatible with each other in the tank ? Or what other options are there

There are many options and those are very good picks IMO i have them and love the combo of the cobue and labs together. Look into some of the elongatus because most of them all stay pretty small.

Ok I'm getting 5 afra cobues this weekend and was thinking about 3 or 4 yellow labs , still decking what other kind to get which will be trio

I'm not really sure , I want some thing that will get along with what I'll have in there, and something that won't get to big, just do really know what is out there, and looking for color as well

Well I'll have yellow and pretty much blue in there the the cobues , so anything other than that

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130211_153349.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130211_153349.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20130211_153457.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130211_153457.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 68
Those are actually pretty neat will three of one of those work? Or would I have I get more ?

You'll have the space to do more so I wouldn't worry so much on how many. I'd aim for 5 or each. Whitch of those two did you like the first picture is of my elongatus chalousi, I think I.gave you a link to it above. The second picture is afra Mara rocks but you already have yellow and they are about all yellow so I'm not sure if you want to do that one.

Last edited:
I liked the maingano, the other one is all yellow and will kinda resemble the yellow lab

I liked the maingano, the other one is all yellow and will kinda resemble the yellow lab

Yea the afra Mara is yellow but it gets along with the afra cobue and the yellow labs. I've never had a problem with them interbreeding either. But it is a lot of yellow in the tank. If I added any of them it would be the maingano or the chalosi or both. They both stand out in my tank so I'm sure they will in yours. If you go with the maingano order them online so you know for sure that's what you'll be getting. Johanni and it look identical but johanni is more aggressive.

This is what I'd do
4 Afra cobue
4 yellow labs
4 elongatus chalosi
4 maingano
And a pleco if you wanted

Last edited:
Where I am getting the cobues they are selling me 5 all together , if I do five there where would be a wise choice to take one out of the other groups?

Where I am getting the cobues they are selling me 5 all together , if I do five there where would be a wise choice to take one out of the other groups?

Any of them really the labs get the biggest. Where are you getting them from? The last time I ordered them they wasn't easy find

Local guy that i found online, he breeds them and said he should have some by this weekend, yeah I try looking a lot of places most places would be out I stock or not have them

Back
Top Bottom