New 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys just got a new standard 55 gallon tank. Any stocking suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A angelfish an a decent sized schools of hatchet fish, Cardinal tetras, and Cory cats

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like it would look nice, but I don't like angelfish, my cousins have like 60 or them, they just won't stop breeding, lol

Sounds like it would look nice, but I don't like angelfish, my cousins have like 60 or them, they just won't stop breeding, lol

That's why only one less aggression an no breeding haha

I was thinking discus, but then I remembered that's a horrible idea. And Caleb, I was thinking of doing a Malawi tank, but I'm having second thoughts.

I was thinking discus, but then I remembered that's a horrible idea. And Caleb, I was thinking of doing a Malawi tank, but I'm having second thoughts.

You maintain a nano reef I think you could manage discus. It's just quarantine, acclimation, and water changes are vital. Do that and I really don't think it's as hard as people make it out to be.

Caleb

Could always upgrade the nano reef or start a new one :p though then agian if you Keep a nano reef, discus should be fine for you

How many discus would I be able to keep in the tank? Cuz at my LFS they are $99.99. So if I did them, there would be no turning back

a 55 gallon actually is considered too bit too small for a perfect Discus environment by quite a few people. I would pass on the Discus for this tank. They can get to the size of a small dinner plate and will probably be a little crammed in a 55. Why not try something a little out of the ordinary? I would do a lake tanganyika setup with a large sandy bottom with small vertical rock structures on each side with rubble and shells in the middle. You could keep Julidochromis Regani as rock inhabitants and shell dwellers. For the shell dwellers you could do the classic multis or you could try the sumbu shell dwellers. There is also a type of sichlid in the lake referred to as the fairy cichlid. There are several species under this broad classification and they are good candidates to live in a tanganyika community with shellies and Julis.

I could probably move my occelatus pair in there and make it a tang community

Rainbowfish community! Some common, colourful species are boesemani, neon dwarf, turquoise, red irian, lake tebera, and parkinsoni. They are bright, active, stay in small groups, and are extremely easy to care for. Great for beginners but I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Get some medium sized botia! Kubotai or striata would be wonderful. I think one of the smaller geophagus species, some apistos, or some keyholes would also work quite well. Throw in some rainbowfish or tetras for the upper water. That's what I would do.

Geophagus tapajo doesn't get bigger than 8 inches, is beautiful, and peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom