new 5g desktop aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is something pretty for me to look at while working. :) It's an aqueon 5 gallon mini bow-front desktop aquarium!

I know it looks like a saltwater setup - but it is freshwater. On an interesting note, my saltwater setup looks freshwater. I am backwards. :confused:

Stocking suggestions?

Attachments

• 5gdesk.jpg
    5gdesk.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 155
I had been thinking aout one of these for plants and shrimp...
If you don't mind, would you update this at some point and let me know what you think of the filter ?
Also, if the light(s) are incandescents, can 13watt 6500k compact flourecents be used instead ?

I had been thinking aout one of these for plants and shrimp...
If you don't mind, would you update this at some point and let me know what you think of the filter ?
Also, if the light(s) are incandescents, can 13watt 6500k compact flourecents be used instead ?

OK. Don't know about the filter yet. Just set it up today.

The light that came with it was incandescent and gave that "yellow" bland look. I went to the LFS and got a 10 watt compact fluorescent bulb that gives off the white look. They are also available in 50/50 white/actinic.

EDIT| Just saw your 6500k compact fluorescent specification. I don't know anything about the #k, but compact fluorescent can be used.

the "k" stands for kelvin, which is the color rating. 6500k is an ideal color spectrum for live plants.

cute tank! do you have any idea what kinda fish you are wanting to keep? there aren't tons of options but there are a few varied choices. i would personally get a betta, but i've been wanting one forever :D if not a betta i would try to find some chili rasboras or CPDs (celestial pearl danios--PRETTY sure they are OK in a 5g). or you could get a trio of sparkling gouramis which are also cute (but i personally steer clear of gouramis--i can't keep 'em alive...but that's just me). RCS (red cherry shrimp) would look cute in there, too.

Well IMO there really isn't many options. Personally, I wouldn't keep sparkling gourami's in less than a 10. The only fish I keep in 5 gals is bettas, but I think some of the nano fish would be OK. I think you could do a school of 6 boraras merah or boraras brigittae and some colorful shrimp just fine in a 5 gal.

You could always put a bunch of java moss in there and make it a shrimp-only tank. There are plenty of varieties of shrimp you could add to it: RCS, amano, bamboo...

scottayy said:
OK. Don't know about the filter yet. Just set it up today.

Hopefully you intend to fishless cycle the tank?

Then again, if you do a shrimp-only tank, I wonder how critical a fishless cycle would be since they have such a low bio-load?

I would fishless cycle it. I mean a tiny little shrimp has to be just as sensitive if not more to ammonia than a fish, I would think.

I would definitely advise against a bamboo shrimp. I wouldn't put one in a 10 gal. In a 20 gal I'd only put one. They need to be added to a well established tank, I'd say 4-6 months. They are filter feeders so if they are unable to filter enough food out of the water they will starve. I find it highly unlikely a 5 gal could properly support a bamboo shrimp. RCS or amano would be great. I really like the BPS or you could even try some CRS..I would start with a few of a lower grade at first if you do the CRS so you can guage your success with them before investing in the higher grades.

Of course a fishless cycle. I did my saltwater tank in 11 days ;) I don't have a freshwater test kit yet though, so right now I'm just letting it sit. Should introduce an ammonia source.

Can I introduce something from my saltwater tank (filter media, gravel in a nylon stocking, etc) to help the process?

Alright, mixed feelings on the filter.

For a filter, it's pretty good at moving water.. circulates the top of the water nicely.. good flow.

The filter cartridge works (heehaw, duh!) there's a nice brown spot where it's collected it's stuff.

But, due to the open top design, only about 1/4th of the cartridge has water moving through it (can't flip the cartridge over either, due to it being notched in there only one way). This isn't really a problem if you take the cartridge out and rinse it.

Also, this filter doesn't remove solids from the water.. like loose debris or fish food. They will just flow right back out since it is open top.

I would give it a 3/5. Not good, not bad. My review. :)

I heard that the bacteria the colonize in freshwater tanks are different from those in saltwater. So I don't think putting saltwater filter media in it would be beneficial. I would definately say go with a betta. They have such great personalities.

Alright, mixed feelings on the filter.

For a filter, it's pretty good at moving water.. circulates the top of the water nicely.. good flow.

The filter cartridge works (heehaw, duh!) there's a nice brown spot where it's collected it's stuff.

But, due to the open top design, only about 1/4th of the cartridge has water moving through it (can't flip the cartridge over either, due to it being notched in there only one way). This isn't really a problem if you take the cartridge out and rinse it.

Also, this filter doesn't remove solids from the water.. like loose debris or fish food. They will just flow right back out since it is open top.

I would give it a 3/5. Not good, not bad. My review. :)

Thanks for the review :)

I put 3 mollies in there.
They're babies. 2 males, 1 female.

I know they need more space. Will be putting them in a 20 long when my mother gets her tank running.

But for the time being I love having them on my desk!

So much fun!!

hope she gets it ready relatively soon.... won't take too long for them to grow and start having babies :eek: plus, they have a large bioload for their size....make sure to keep an eye on parameters

Yeah she's cycling now. Actually I'm doing it for her.
I will have them for a few weeks to a month probably, because she's slow at letting me do stuff for her :p

Back
Top Bottom