New 5gal low tech fire red cherry shrimp shimpolopolus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, ordered 12 fire red shrimp for a new shrimpolopolus. 5 gallons(for now...), low tech (for now...) with just cherries(for now! Haha).

Maybe a filter shrimp if I upgrade the size..

Right now, 2 13w cfls over top, extra light to bump some new algae growth for when they arrive.

Anubius nana x2 and some other plant.

Getting Java moss, and some others when they arrive, but not leaving house till they get here..its snowing :(

Should be a couple days though, sposed to warm up..

Anyways, any tips, getting a pretty cool statue deco, possibly some wood as well...

Tank is cycled, adding other cycled tank water every so often to keep it going, and multiple filter biomedia in bigger established tanks..

Pics

10gal hitech/5gal lowtech

Not letting me upload more than one.. I'll do more on the PC when more happens

Attachments

• WP_20140102_008.jpg
    WP_20140102_008.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 132
You should get a cool piece of drift wood to attach your anubias too

I ordered some shale and some driftwood, would get here before my preferred lfs.

Also ordered some sponge covers. Using biofilter sponge right now. Have another talk for blue rillis I will set up next..

Some kinda tall onion thing.. I want more plants that are both under and above the water line like this

Attachments

• WP_20140103_001.jpg
    WP_20140103_001.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 125
Adding cycled tank water to keep your bacteria up won't work. 99% of bacteria is on the surfaces in a tank, not in the water. I would just add a few drops of hardware store ammonia each day to keep it going then just do a water change before they get there to reduce nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding cycled tank water to keep your bacteria up won't work. 99% of bacteria is on the surfaces in a tank, not in the water. I would just add a few drops of hardware store ammonia each day to keep it going then just do a water change before they get there to reduce nitrates.

makes sence. I was planning taking some sand, a plant, and 2 extra biofilters I've stuffed into the established tank.

Will stop adding tank water.

Got some actual filter sponge covers. 3pack on amazon for 3bucks after shipping. Little tight, but still works perfect

Attachments

• WP_20140103_004.jpg
    WP_20140103_004.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 114
Soo, the shrimp aren't being shipped this weekend. Snow on the ground here, and ice and snow there apparently, 2 to 3 day ride, but the shipper says he's confident and makes longer ships. We decided on a no ship till warmer weather, that's always safe.

Bummed, I want my skrimp, but at the same time, animal saftey, right, too cold is too cold, and I don't FULLY trust heat packs for some reason.

On the plus, I'll have the driftwood, shale, statue deco, and some extra goodies before they arrive.. Win/win

Th delay will let some more biofilm develop in the tank which is always good.

And will give the tank a little more time to mature

Java moss is on the way.

This may become a 10gal. Swapping the old 10gal for a 20l at the petco sale (maybe) and may use the old 10 lol. Want to get them home and acclimated for a week or so first though

Upgrade from petco so the 10 is the shrimp tank

Attachments

• WP_20140105_002.jpg
    WP_20140105_002.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 100
Update time guys.

Statue came. Used a rubber band (brand new) to secure the plants around, but considering picking up some aquarium silicone. Research says bands should be ok.

Shale and drifwood should be in before wed. Shrimp still waiting for warm weather to ship, cycle seems to have sped up a bit since being moved into an established tank.

Will add my pristellas in a few days once cycle finishes, so I can just use them to keep it going and then put the tetras back into their 20long when skrimps arrive

Sorry here's the pic, tapatalk hates me

Attachments

• WP_20140107_002.jpg
    WP_20140107_002.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 94
My driftwood shale came. Will attempt to make moss trees I think....

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Attachments

• WP_20140108_002.jpg
    WP_20140108_002.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 97
  • WP_20140108_001.jpg
    WP_20140108_001.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom