New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
Yeah i have, i'm seeing quite a bit of green hair algae and green dust algea. I would absolutely love to get rid of the stupid green spot algae thats on the lower half of the glass as well. I'm kinda at a loss for how to fight it :-/

Tha sucks. It makes me feel good about me upgrading my lighting with no co2 lol

Maybe try a little excel at half dose first. It makes some crypts and vals melt, that's why half dose. excel is a super efficient algaecide

George9 said:
Tha sucks. It makes me feel good about me upgrading my lighting with no co2 lol

Maybe try a little excel at half dose first. It makes some crypts and vals melt, that's why half dose. excel is a super efficient algaecide

I was thinking about that today actually. I'll have to look into it more tomorrow at the lfs. I also was reading that increasingthe phosphates could help a lot too, i don't knowwhat other implications this could have on the tank though.

So i was watching the flow in my tank today and i noticed that while i have ok (very gentle swaying of plants) flow at the top of the tank there seems to be very minimal to no flow on the bottom half. Should i increase the flow in the lower half to help with CO2 and fert distribution? Would added flow help combat some of the algae growth i've been seeing as of late?

skywhitney said:
So i was watching the flow in my tank today and i noticed that while i have ok (very gentle swaying of plants) flow at the top of the tank there seems to be very minimal to no flow on the bottom half. Should i increase the flow in the lower half to help with CO2 and fert distribution? Would added flow help combat some of the algae growth i've been seeing as of late?

It could help with feet distribution, but I would not increase the flow at the bottom. Would you use a powerhead? It will push all the plants around way too much and the fish will get pushed around. I'd leave it be, unless it's a lower flow powerhead and placed where it won't blow your plants around lol :)

It could help with feet distribution, but I would not increase the flow at the bottom. Would you use a powerhead? It will push all the plants around way too much and the fish will get pushed around. I'd leave it be, unless it's a lower flow powerhead and placed where it won't blow your plants around lol :)

I was thinking about using a power head for the top portion of the tank then I would use the output of the filter for the lower part. I don't want a high flow rate at the bottom cause of the plants but i'm starting to see algae growing on the leaves of the Ludwigia and i'm wondering if this might be affected by the lack of flow currently. I'm just kinda taking a shot in the dark here but i figured it would be worth trying at least. All of my fish love the higher rate flow (not sure about Charger) so i'm not super worried about that. My concern would be the plants.

I'm also thinking about getting 2-3 more Nerite snails since 2 snails can't really do very much for a 70g :)

skywhitney said:
I was thinking about using a power head for the top portion of the tank then I would use the output of the filter for the lower part. I don't want a high flow rate at the bottom cause of the plants but i'm starting to see algae growing on the leaves of the Ludwigia and i'm wondering if this might be affected by the lack of flow currently. I'm just kinda taking a shot in the dark here but i figured it would be worth trying at least. All of my fish love the higher rate flow (not sure about Charger) so i'm not super worried about that. My concern would be the plants.

I'm also thinking about getting 2-3 more Nerite snails since 2 snails can't really do very much for a 70g :)

Yeah you could definitely do that. I think It will help a bit. Charger will be fine with the flow lol, he could deal. He's a tough guy :) how would you use the filter output for the lower portion? You'd hav to cut a longer hose?

My fish bags are coming tomorrow, so I can ship your angel(s) whenever you're ready also just leemme know

George9 said:
Yeah you could definitely do that. I think It will help a bit. Charger will be fine with the flow lol, he could deal. He's a tough guy :) how would you use the filter output for the lower portion? You'd hav to cut a longer hose?

My fish bags are coming tomorrow, so I can ship your angel(s) whenever you're ready also just leemme know

I have a flexible hose on there already so i can just angle it down. It'll be a 2 min change.

Awesome, i'll PM you to chat about the angel(s) more.

I did my PWC tonight and decided to thin out my water sprite by seeing how many baby plants could be removed and this is what came off just by running my hand through the leaves!!!

Attachments

• image-251467064.jpg
    image-251467064.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I sold all of the Water Sprite today and picked up a Hydor Powerhead and 2 more Nerite snails. Once I get home I'll update on how i like the powerhead. I hope it is powerful enough to make a difference.

Cool! Thats a crap load of water sprite. It took me a little while to figure out what I was looking at, but they're floating at the top of the tank lol.

Lemme know how the powerhead works :)

George9 said:
Cool! Thats a crap load of water sprite. It took me a little while to figure out what I was looking at, but they're floating at the top of the tank lol.

Lemme know how the powerhead works :)

Yeah it was a bit ridiculous :). I'm just glad the lfs bought it all.

So far the powerhead seems to be working great! Its absolutely silent and gives me the flow i wanted. Lets see how i like it in a couple weeks lol

I grabbed my last peice of lighting today :) 2 Giesemann Midday bulbs (since i accidentally got the Aquaflora last time) to replace the WavePoint 12,000k lights i was using.

My lighting is now
2x - 39w Geisemann Aquaflora
2x - 39w Geisemann Midday

Due to my light being pretty insense, "too high" according to the lighting chart floating around the forum, i am going to cut my photo period back to as close to 8-9 hours as i can. I'm thinking about getting a new power cord made for my lights that has a built in timer and i might do a dark period during the day. Thoughts on this?

One of my coworkers wants to give me a young CAE but i'm not sure how they would be with my current stock. The CAE is only 1.5-2" right now but they get quite big if i'm not mistaken...

skywhitney said:
I grabbed my last peice of lighting today :) 2 Giesemann Midday bulbs (since i accidentally got the Aquaflora last time) to replace the WavePoint 12,000k lights i was using.

My lighting is now
2x - 39w Geisemann Aquaflora
2x - 39w Geisemann Midday

Due to my light being pretty insense, "too high" according to the lighting chart floating around the forum, i am going to cut my photo period back to as close to 8-9 hours as i can. I'm thinking about getting a new power cord made for my lights that has a built in timer and i might do a dark period during the day. Thoughts on this?

One of my coworkers wants to give me a young CAE but i'm not sure how they would be with my current stock. The CAE is only 1.5-2" right now but they get quite big if i'm not mistaken...

I don't know about the dark period, or why people would do them. So I cannot help you there :D

CAEs get huge! I'm pretty sure you could keep them in a 67 g, but I wouldn't get one because I don't think they are the nicest looking fish. It's just my preference. But it will help with your hair algae

Donkey Gun said:
I've done a 3 day blackout before on my 10 gallon, it seemed to help.

I dont know if i could go 3 days but i might try a 24hr blackout then the dark periods during the day. That along with the shorter photo period and increased Phosphate dosing should help curtail some of the algea...i hope lol

I need some advice on my stocking. I kinda want to change it up to a little more colorful tank with fish that have some personality.

Here is my current stock:
- 6x Platy (90+ fry)
- 11x Black Neon Tetra
- 4x Peppered Cory
- 1x ABN Pleco
- 1x Clown Pleco
- 1x Apistogramma Rotpunkt
- 4x Nerite Snails
- ?x Ghost Shrimp

I guess the fish that are kinda up for discussing switching out would be the Platy and Tetra, all the other guys are pretty cool. I do have 2 platy (female) that I kinda want to keep cause they're full of personality. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

skywhitney said:
I need some advice on my stocking. I kinda want to change it up to a little more colorful tank with fish that have some personality.

Here is my current stock:
- 6x Platy (90+ fry)
- 11x Black Neon Tetra
- 4x Peppered Cory
- 1x ABN Pleco
- 1x Clown Pleco
- 1x Apistogramma Rotpunkt
- 4x Nerite Snails
- ?x Ghost Shrimp

I guess the fish that are kinda up for discussing switching out would be the Platy and Tetra, all the other guys are pretty cool. I do have 2 platy (female) that I kinda want to keep cause they're full of personality. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

How about some different types of rainbowfish? They're super colorful and really cool fish.

George9 said:
How about some different types of rainbowfish? They're super colorful and really cool fish.

Dont they get quite big though? They're really pretty regardless!

skywhitney said:
Dont they get quite big though? They're really pretty regardless!

They do get kinda big, but would work in a 67 IMO.

They grow really really slow too.

George9 said:
They do get kinda big, but would work in a 67 IMO.

They grow really really slow too.

Rainbow fish are definitely in the running still :) i just have to figure out what species i like the best...

Other suggestions?

Would two male Apistos work in the same tank?

I currently have a 2.5" Rotpunkt and was thinking about a Cacatuoides

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom