New 60 Gallon (Now 40b) Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skywhitney said:
Would two male Apistos work in the same tank?

I currently have a 2.5" Rotpunkt and was thinking about a Cacatuoides

No. They are really really really aggressive and would probably kill eachother.

They're less aggressive than other dcichlids, but they're aggressive twords other males.

Keeping one=minimal aggression :)

It's a sad day for my tank. I got home from work to find that Charger died :-(

RIP Charger :-(

skywhitney said:
It's a sad day for my tank. I got home from work to find that Charger died :-(

RIP Charger :-(

Aw man. I'm so sorry :( sometimes you just can't help it. He was so cool looking too

Thanks guys, i appreciate it.

I checked him out really thurough when i found him and i couldn't see anything out of the norm. I tested my water and that was fine too. I'm at a complete loss for what it might have been.

More stocking questions...

Here is my current stock list with the recent changes that have/are about to take place.

Fish
- 2x Platy (F)
- 11x Black Neon Tetra
- 4x Peppered Cory
- 1x ABN Pleco
- 1x Clown Pleco

Inverts
- 4x Nerite Snails
- ?x Ghost Shrimp

My purposed additions are:
- 2x German Blue Ram (M/F)
- 6x Flame Tetra or Cherry Barb (need input here)
- 1x Angelfish (possible, still torn about it)

I looked into the Rainbow fish more but something about them is just making me feel so/so. they are still a good consideration though.

Thoughts and suggestions?

skywhitney said:
More stocking questions...

Here is my current stock list with the recent changes that have/are about to take place.

Fish
- 2x Platy (F)
- 11x Black Neon Tetra
- 4x Peppered Cory
- 1x ABN Pleco
- 1x Clown Pleco

Inverts
- 4x Nerite Snails
- ?x Ghost Shrimp

My purposed additions are:
- 2x German Blue Ram (M/F)
- 6x Flame Tetra or Cherry Barb (need input here)
- 1x Angelfish (possible, still torn about it)

I looked into the Rainbow fish more but something about them is just making me feel so/so. they are still a good consideration though.

Thoughts and suggestions?

I think that could work out. But keep in mind that the gbrs will be super territorial when mating. P
Personally, I like cherry barbs better than flame tetras, but either will work here

I don't think an angel would be a bad choice. If I can keep then alive, than you can sure keep them alive too lol

George9 said:
I think that could work out. But keep in mind that the gbrs will be super territorial when mating. P
Personally, I like cherry barbs better than flame tetras, but either will work here

I don't think an angel would be a bad choice. If I can keep then alive, than you can sure keep them alive too lol
I don't mind the territory issues as I have enough plant cover and breaks in line of sight.

I like the cherry barbs a lot more than the tetras but I'm not sure how nippy they are. That was my drawback.

I really want an Angel so I might just go for it :)

I don't mind the territory issues as I have enough plant cover and breaks in line of sight.

I like the cherry barbs a lot more than the tetras but I'm not sure how nippy they are. That was my drawback.

I really want an Angel so I might just go for it :)

I don't think cherry barbs are very aggressive to start with, one of the least of barbs imo. And keeping more will reduce the chance of aggression. 6-8 sounds good.

yay!! That's good news :)

I ordered the GBRs tonight, they should be here in about a week and a half :)

skywhitney said:
yay!! That's good news :)

I ordered the GBRs tonight, they should be here in about a week and a half :)

A week and a half! I hope they arent in transit that long! Lol

Your gonna love them. Super super colorful :)

I was thinking about cherry barbs for my tank once I get most of the angels out. I like the red color.

George9 said:
A week and a half! I hope they arent in transit that long! Lol

Your gonna love them. Super super colorful :)

I was thinking about cherry barbs for my tank once I get most of the angels out. I like the red color.

Lol no they won't be. the wife and I went around town looking for some tonight but the only ones we could find were $30/fish! We finally ended up in petco and the guy tokd us that they just became available to the store so they can special order some for me at wholesale cost and i won't have to worry about shipping charges. I'm getting them for $1.99 a fish :). They put in their orders on Thursdays so thats why i have to wait so long.

I saw a school of cherry barbs tonight and i think they'll look awesome with a school of black neons :)

skywhitney said:
Lol no they won't be. the wife and I went around town looking for some tonight but the only ones we could find were $30/fish! We finally ended up in petco and the guy tokd us that they just became available to the store so they can special order some for me at wholesale cost and i won't have to worry about shipping charges. I'm getting them for $1.99 a fish :). They put in their orders on Thursdays so thats why i have to wait so long.

I saw a school of cherry barbs tonight and i think they'll look awesome with a school of black neons :)

Awesome! What a steal! $1.99! And they'll be healthy because Petco didn't get their hands on them yet lol I really like cherry barbs. They will pop in your tank.

George9 said:
Awesome! What a steal! $1.99! And they'll be healthy because Petco didn't get their hands on them yet lol I really like cherry barbs. They will pop in your tank.

The petco near me is actually really nice. Haven't seen a sich fish there in about 6 months (and i make them show me the maintenance logs to verify lol)

The more i see of the Cherry Barbs the more i like them.

On a plant note, my Diandra is freaking out on me. It starting to melt in places and very minimal new growth since i trimmed it. I think i might have shocked it :-/. Hopefully it can pull through without to much melting. I'm also thinking about moving it from the middle of the tank to the corner area where the Rotala currently is that way its not getting as beat up by current and i can then trim the oldest growth off so it can focus on new growth.

I think I need to reposition the L. Glandulosa so it can start growing better as well. It not dying but now growing, just status quo.

skywhitney said:
The petco near me is actually really nice. Haven't seen a sich fish there in about 6 months (and i make them show me the maintenance logs to verify lol)

The more i see of the Cherry Barbs the more i like them.

On a plant note, my Diandra is freaking out on me. It starting to melt in places and very minimal new growth since i trimmed it. I think i might have shocked it :-/. Hopefully it can pull through without to much melting. I'm also thinking about moving it from the middle of the tank to the corner area where the Rotala currently is that way its not getting as beat up by current and i can then trim the oldest growth off so it can focus on new growth.

I think I need to reposition the L. Glandulosa so it can start growing better as well. It not dying but now growing, just status quo.

That's great!

I think the diandra could be in shock, but i have no idea to be sure. I hope it starts to grow and get better, but I can't help you much there lol

I think moving it is a good idea. It's probaly not AA good thing it's getting beat up by the current. I hope it turns around for ya. You were having such good luck with diandra!

George9 said:
That's great!

I think the diandra could be in shock, but i have no idea to be sure. I hope it starts to grow and get better, but I can't help you much there lol

I think moving it is a good idea. It's probaly not AA good thing it's getting beat up by the current. I hope it turns around for ya. You were having such good luck with diandra!

Lol i know! When i started the tanki never thought id say it but my problem now is so many plants and such little space :D

Did some trimming and rearranging today. What do you all think?

image-3931247940.jpg

image-4001508594.jpg

The first pic is with a small light i turn on in the evenings so hat my big light can be turned off.

Back
Top Bottom