New 60 gallon rimless cube build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size return pump should I use for 60 gallon cube with standard corner overflow. I plan to place a 3 valve manifold; one for calcium reactor, one for phosphate reactor, and one that feeds back to fuge. All running off return pimp.

That's a lot i'd use a mag 12 at a min. but would lean toward the 18 if it were me.

I'm thinking about doing all dry rock for my aquascape probably 2 or 3 pillars that go close to the surface. Looking to do minimalistic concept lots of open space between the pillars and lots of open sand. I'll be putting live rock in my sump. Is it ok to start with all dry rock/base rock.

I'm thinking about doing all dry rock for my aquascape probably 2 or 3 pillars that go close to the surface. Looking to do minimalistic concept lots of open space between the pillars and lots of open sand. I'll be putting live rock in my sump. Is it ok to start with all dry rock/base rock.

It wouldn't be a problem to do all live rock; I have a ton but plan to be working on this aquascape for a while in the basement drilling and epoxy. So I figured with having it out if water so long just start with dry rock. Any opinions?

I like to use base rock cuts out unwanted pest Seed with a piece of live rock as it will cut down on the cycle time

Looks good so far. Following along since I can already tell my 35g is going to upgrade into a 60g cube eventually.

Looks good so far. Following along since I can already tell my 35g is going to upgrade into a 60g cube eventually.

60 gallon cubes are great I wanted a 93 rimless but there just a little to big for a cube in my opinion unless you have a nice room to put it in the middle.

I wanted a 60 cube, but could not find one reasonably priced on CL, but did find a 24x24x14 for cheap, so I grabbed that. It's not as tall as I would like, but I figure it will keep me occupied for a while and when the corals grow, I will upgrade.

nice build- stand details

Hello, I have been looking everywhere to start my 60 Gallon build. I found your thread here and really like your stand. I seen a lot of 2x4 stands but they seem to take a lot of room inside.

can you give us some details on how you made yours, materials and how did you joined the wood.

Thanks and looking forward for updates on your tank

What I did was copy marinelands design to an extent with a couple extra supports. I made it out of 1" oak using pocket holes which I used my kreg jig. Every joint is pocket holes and glue. I routered the edges and patiently taped them so I could paint and then stain just the edges. Everything then got a clear coat. Inlay in door will be stamped tin when I find it. For now my inlay will be a grooved panel. Edge of tank sits flush with the sides of stand then I made the top so the tank is fully supported by sides. I'll have more pictures up this weekend. If you guys want more info or measurements let me know.

Where did you find the 1 inch Oak. I live in Florida, and the only places I have close by are lowes and Home depot. the Only thing I have found so far is 3/4 oak plywood.

The more pics the better, I might end up copying your design :brows:

3/4 would be fine that's what marineland and other companies use. I got mine from a lumber yard by my house in Pennsylvania. Your 1" boards are 3/4" when plained anyway.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391810107.646035.jpg
Door is finished for now until I find a piece of punched tin that will fit. Door will go on tonight. I'll try to upload pictures. Also I got the rest of my plumbing for sump.

Sorry for the delay on updates. I have my overflow plumbed, manifold made I'm now just waiting to get my return pump. Hopefully water circulating this coming weekend or early next week.

What do you guys think. I have 2 gold stripe maroon clowns now in my current tank that I will be tearing down when my 60 is ready. Should I put them in my 60 or put them in a bedroom tank and get black ice clowns for the new 60?

I think they would be fine in either tank. :) Just up to you as to what you want to wake up to every day. lol

Back
Top Bottom