New 75 gal tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you mean like the tetra tank starter stuff? I tried that on my 36 and didnt have luck... If I cycle the tank with media from
My ten gal should I put amonia in the water? Or should I do both tank starter the old filter media and add amonia?

I never knew you had to dose permanently! Ill have to look into that

Check it out and let me know what you think. I talked to a salesman at Petsmart that said there was a bottle that came out that you only have to dose once, but I'm not to sure about it.

Do you mean like the tetra tank starter stuff? I tried that on my 36 and didnt have luck... If I cycle the tank with media from
My ten gal should I put amonia in the water? Or should I do both tank starter the old filter media and add amonia?

Anything that says it has BB in it to help your tank is bottle bacteria. I'd skip that part. You could use media from your 10G. Yes, dose ammonia. That starts the cycle. It feeds the first group of bacteria. That bacteria puts off nitrites. Nitrites feed the next group of bacteria. Then that group puts off nitrates. Nitrates aren't as harmful as ammonia or nitrites but can be dangerous in large amounts. You want to convert ammonia and nitrites to 0 in 24 hours. That's the goal.

Check it out and let me know what you think. I talked to a salesman at Petsmart that said there was a bottle that came out that you only have to dose once, but I'm not to sure about it.

Yeah ill definitely let you know. I never believed in it until just recently

Ok that's what I'll do then ill put the ten gal filter media into my 75 gal filter and dose with ammonia. And do daily tests to check the perimeters with my API test kit. Could I have plants in the tank during this cycling? Or should I wait to add the plants when I put the fish in. After its cycled.

Yes thats very true. My biggest concern was, how does the BB stay alive in a bottle. Unless its just ammonia to get your tank going

I'm not sure. I have some nutrafin left over before I figured out how useless it could be. I'll look at the ingredients. I think it's mainly BB and water.

Ok that's what I'll do then ill put the ten gal filter media into my 75 gal filter and dose with ammonia. And do daily tests to check the perimeters with my API test kit. Could I have plants in the tank during this cycling? Or should I wait to add the plants when I put the fish in. After its cycled.

Rinse the 10G media into your other tanks filter and then put it back into your other tank. You still need BB for your other tank. You can add plants at anytime. The plants will actually use some nitrates. I have lots of plants in my 83 gallon and its nearing the end of its cycle.

Yea on my 36 gal I tried tetra safe start bacteria... I never even saw a change in my parameters :/ so I just switched to a fish in cycle on my 36. I will not be Doing another fish in cycle lol... LOTS OF WATER CHANGES!

Yea on my 36 gal I tried tetra safe start bacteria... I never even saw a change in my parameters :/ so I just switched to a fish in cycle on my 36. I will not be Doing another fish in cycle lol... LOTS OF WATER CHANGES!

More trouble than its worth plus the fish do suffer some.

Rinse the 10G media into your other tanks filter and then put it back into your other tank. You still need BB for your other tank. You can add plants at anytime. The plants will actually use some nitrates. I have lots of plants in my 83 gallon and its nearing the end of its cycle.

Ok thanks so much that's what I'll do.

Ok thanks so much that's what I'll do.

If you get plants, make sure you get the right lighting for what you want to grow. If you don't get a plant substrate and are going with sand, get root tabs. Get some liquid carbon if you're not using pressurized system. Ferts as well! Dry of liquid. Your choice. Lights only need to stay on for at least 8 hours. Anything more can cause algae bloom.

If you get plants, make sure you get the right lighting for what you want to grow. If you don't get a plant substrate and are going with sand, get root tabs. Get some liquid carbon if you're not using pressurized system. Ferts as well! Dry of liquid. Your choice. Lights only need to stay on for at least 8 hours. Anything more can cause algae bloom.

Oh, I haven't bought any lights for the tank yet, what do you guys suggest. I'll pick up root tabs at the petco... And some liquid carbon... What would b some good plants as well?

Oh, I haven't bought any lights for the tank yet, what do you guys suggest. I'll pick up root tabs at the petco... And some liquid carbon... What would b some good plants as well?

The kind of plants you want depends on what kind of lighting you'll need. I have quad T5HO 36inxh bulbs on my 83 bowfront and it grows everything no problem.

Ok I'll get what u have then lol

Hahaha! Sounds good! I can't remember all of these names. Let me try to think of some. Moss balls are real good. It helps feed shrimp. Java fern! You can attach it to DW or rocks. Amazon sword! Make sure you get root tabs or plant it in plant substrate. Red Tiger Lotus. It gets really big! Pennywort. Research those and see what you think. Also, get up with Rivercats here on AA! She has a 220-240G fully planted tank. She has helped me a bunch!

Wow lol ok thanks so much... I gotta go take a look at all these plants lol!! I'll post up some pix after I get the tank all set up!!!.. This is a tremendous help!

Back
Top Bottom