New angels on the way!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
First off, let me say, if you have not heard already, my LFS is Slice of Nature Pets, in Vandalia IL. Also let me tell you that my LFS rocks. I had been wanting to put a flame angel and a flameback angel in my tank for awhile now. However I was worried about how they would get along. I let Dean, the owner of Slice of Nature Pets, know that I was wanting to do this. So Dean order both angels at the same time and put them in the same tank in his quarantine system to see how they faired together. The cool thing is , I did not accually ask him to do it, he just did it for me. Well I called him he told me they were doing good together, a little scrapie, but nothing out of the ordinary. So he asked me if I wanted them. I did not have 100 bucks on me so he is going to put them on hold and allow me to make payments. That Rocks!! Well I feel good about this one because me, Dean, and Mike Garrison have been proving time and time again, that the "one angel fish per tank rule", is a bunch of malarky. Now by saying that I mean if your tank is able to house more than one angel at full size. But as far as compatibility, they may scrap a little, but so far we have not see one kill another. Also I must tell you that our experiments have only consisted of small dwarf angels from the genus Centropyge. We have not dealt with large (holacanthus and pomacanthus) of medium (chaetodontoplus and genicanthus) angels, because we have been putting these angels in reef tanks and the mediums and larges are mostly not reef safe. However we have found a lot of the dwarfs to be reef safe, but once in a while we will get one that nips at corals. I have never had a problem with flame angels nipping at corals, nor have I heard any bad stories on them. I have always had good luck with Coral Beauties, but Dean has heard of people getting coral nippers. Mike Garrison also had a bicolor and a rock beauty that he had to remove because it was picking at corals. So I would like to here you guys experience with small angels, and I will post pics of my new ones when I get them in the main tank.

Coral Nipper
lemonpeel.jpg

This fish taught me my lesson on small angels. I have only heard of one person keeping them successfully in a reef tank. Probably the worst of the bunch, the LemonPeel angel (C. flavissimus). I have kept flames (C. loriculus) with no problem, I have kept cherubs (C. argi) and I have kept brazillian flamebackes (C. Aurantonotus..my favorite) with no problems. I do, however, when I recommend angels for reefs, make sure the poster knows the propensity for coral nipping that an angel has. This way, they can decide if they want to take the risk. The Lemonpeel I had...killed two corals before I was able to catch it :(

Knock on some good LR on this post.

I have a coral beauty in the same tank as a plate coral and a hammer coral and some mushrooms and some poylps.

So far it has not picked up the taste for any of them as best I can tell.

Lets just hope I am LUCKY for many years and corals to come.

I definately agree with you guys on one thing, all angels may be coral nippers, PERIOD. However, reefrunner, I have heard of some people at the LFS i use have had good luck in keeping Lemon peels in reef tanks. The most important thing for the people to remember is that each individual angel fish is different. Some have a taste for coral, some dont. But anyway, who wants to argue that the theory of keeping one angel per tank (of course, I'm talking about small angels) is a bunch of bull. I've seen it done so many times successful and to be honest I have never seen it be a failure. Now I admit, if you keep two of the exact same species of angels together it might be a problem. Who can tell me they kept two or more different species of angels in thier tank and one died due to another? If this has happened to you please share it with us.

But anyway, who wants to argue that the theory of keeping one angel per tank (of course, I'm talking about small angels) is a bunch of bull.

I've never heard of this theory. I have heard things like ...You can't keep 2 flame angels in the same tank...unless it is very large. The other advice I've heard given...is if you wanna do mutiple pygmy angels (not of the same species), you should try to make sure there is a size and color difference. To be honest Mike..I have kept multiple angels myself in a species tank. Both large, and small.

Agree with reefrunner. Everything I've heard is that if you stick with Centropyges you can keep different types. Did some research and talk with a lot of people before getting my flame, because down the road I want to add coral beauty.

My Coral beauty nips at my pulsing xenia once in awhile but really has yet to cause any damage.

Yahoo! You guys agree! I just have always heard this one...."It is a good idea to only keep one angel per tank." Although I respect Palleta, Fenner, and Tullock , I have read that in all three of their books.

So have any of you kept a Coral Beauty and a Flame Angel together in a 75g reef? Although I am really looking to add a Tang I am now considering adding another pigmy.

That is wierd, because my last tank was indeed a 75 gallon reef and I did have a flame and a coral beauty. They were the same size and did great together other that the flame would chase the beauty. He never did any damage though. The wierd thing was that the flame was added second and became the aggressor.

Michael, If I could ship livestock, I would ship you my CB. This thing is doing a number on my LR. Stripping it clean...

Wow, I would love to have it. Does it touch coral? They are quite the grazers. It wouldnt bother me, because I have a sea urchin that keeps my tank clean of coralline.

Michael

You said

[/quote]I have a sea urchin that keeps my tank clean of coralline.
I have an urchin also... a freebee hitchhiker. I want coralline growth and did not realize that a single urchin could do much to effect that. It started out about the size of a quarter and now a few months later is a good 2.5 inches. When you say it keeps your tank clean... do you mean you have zero coralline? I hope as mine continues to grow that is not the case... I love the color that the coralline adds to my tank.

my urchin does not bother my corals or fish. However he does keep almost 300 lbs of live rock in a 100 gallon tank completely free of coralline. I dont like it, but my mom gave it to me and I would hate to get rid of it. Its just one thing I have to live with, no coralline :( .

Is there more to your question Kribbz? Can I clear something up for you?

Thanks Michael: Want another... LOL

1 sea urchin, free to good home. Side effects are no coralline. :(

I think kribbs was just confused by the way your post was quoted. I would call your LFS. They will probably give you a little trade in on your urchin.

Still trying to get the hang of the quote function. Let me try again...

1 sea urchin, free to good home. Side effects are no coralline.

Well I think I have it now... LOL

Back
Top Bottom